Church of St Michael and All Angels, Broxtowe
Description: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Date Listed: 18 October 1949
English Heritage Building ID: 429333
OS Grid Reference: SK5075637799
OS Grid Coordinates: 450756, 337799
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9352, -1.2463
Location: Church Street, Beeston, Nottinghamshire NG9 3HA
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
SK 53 NW BEESTON AND STAPLE FORD CHURCH STREET
2/12 Church of St.
Michael and All
Parish church. 1861. By John Johnson. C14, C14 and C15 style.
West end vestry mid C20. Rockfaced ashlar with ashlar dressings.
Plain and patterned slate roofs. Single ashlar side wall stack.
Coped gables with gabled kneelers. Some coved eaves with ball
flower. Buttressed throughout. South west tower, south porch,
nave, chancel, north vestry, south aisle, west vestry. Tower, 3
stages, has deep battered plinth and canted stair turret to north
west, with door. 2 string courses, linked hood mould with
finials, eaves band with 4 gargoyles. Second stage has to south,
a lancet with hood mould and mask stops. To west, 2 quatrefoil
lights. Third stage has 4 Decorated double lancets and below
each of them a gabled slit light with crocketed gable and
gargoyles. Octagonal broach spire has 4 canopied lancets with
flanking shafts. Above, staggered quatrefoil lights and
weathercock. Timber framed south porch has chamfered ashlar
plinth and 2 traceried glazed panels each side.
Gabled,bargeboarded entrance has arch braces and a pail of wooden
gates. Scissor braced common rafter roof. Nave, 4 bays, has to
north, 4 double lancets with panel tracery. West end has
Decorated triple lancet with hood mould. Chancel, 3 bays, has
stepped string course. East end has Decorated triple lancet with
hood mould and mask stops. South side has 3 single lancets with
linked hood mould and mask stops. North vestry, 3 bays, has to
north off-centre moulded C15 style door and to right and to east,
a shouldered double lancet. South aisle, 2 bays, has at east end
5 light early C14 style lancet with Decorated tracery. South
side has 2 Decorated double lancets. West vestry, 3 bays, has
chamfered plinth-and coped parapet. West end has projecting
centre with ashlar staircase to central door, flanked by single
mullioned casements. North and south sides have each 2 mullioned
casements. South doorway, C13 style, has hood mould. Nave south
arcade, 4 bays, has 2 clustered piers with lobed bases and
capitals. To west, single round pier with broached square base
and foliate capital. Chamfered and moulded arches with hood
mould. West end has pair of doors and stained glass window and
brass, 1866. North side has 3 stained glass windows signed "T.
F. Curtis, Ward & Hughes, London", 1914, 1918, 1919. Stained
glass window 1938. Principal rafter roof with arch braces and
wall shafts on corbels. Chancel has ornate C14 style arch and
responds with flanking shafts and foliate capitals on angel
corbels. Stepped screen wall and sill band. East end has large
alabaster reredos, C14 style, with canopied niches and figures.
Scissor braced roof with arch braces on angel corbels. South
aisle has to east stained glass window and brass, 1905 and 1914.
Lean-to roof with arch braces. Fittings include C13 round font
with cusped blind arcading, C19 canted ashlar pulpit and brass
lectern. Simple softwood benches, stalls and desks, some with
doors. Monuments include painted slate tablet with Arms and
acrostic verse to Henry Harley, 1650. Slate tablet signed 'W.
Haywood Sculp.' 1747. Slate tablet with Arms, 1759. Classical
marble and slate tablet with obelisk, figure of Hope and
sarcophagus, 1818. Classical marble and slate tablet, 1841.
Pedimented tablet, 1841. Gothic wall monument with Arms, 1869.
Gregory hatchment. 3 brasses C19 and C20. Marble and slate
tablet, 1914 and bronze War Memorial plaque, 1918.
Listing NGR: SK5075637799
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.