If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St George
Date Listed: 13 October 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 430407
OS Grid Reference: SK5224532758
OS Grid Coordinates: 452245, 332758
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8897, -1.2249
There is also a scheduled monument, Dovecote at Manor Farm, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Explore more of the area around Barton in Fabis, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.
BARTON IN FABIS CHURCH LANE
SK 53 SW (north side)
4/2 St. George
Parish church. C14, C15, C17, 1693, restored 1855 and 1877
probably by T. C. Hine and 1886. Tower restored 1892. Dressed
coursed rubble and ashlar. Slate roofs. Single red brick stack
to north nave. Parapets. Coped gables. Single ridge crosses to
east nave and east chancel. Buttressed and set on a plinth.
Tower with spire, nave, south aisle, south porch and chancel.
Embattled angle buttressed C14 single stage tower with attached
circular embattled stair turret to the north east. Early C15
spire with 4 lucarnes. The west side has a C19 doorway with 2
rectangular lights above. The north side has a single and the
stair turret 4 rectangular lights. The south side has a single
rectangular light. The 4 C14 bell chamber openings each have 2
trefoil arched lights and 2 mouchettes under a flat arch. The
north nave with continuous sill band forming a hood mould over
the doorway and extending to the chancel, has a single C14 window
with 2 trefoil arched lights and tracery under a flat arch. To
the left is a moulded arched doorway with C17 door and further
left 2 similar windows with 2 similar windows in the north
chancel. The east chancel has a single arched 3 light C15 window
with cusped panel tracery, hood mould and label stops. The south
chancel has 2 similar C14 windows, below that on the left is a
C14 moulded arched doorway with remains of 3 attached colonnettes
with fillets and moulded capitals. The single buttress to the
right with sundial. To the left is a single restored C15 window
with 2 cinquefoil arched lights under a flat arch, the band
forming a hood mould. The east wall of the south aisle has a
single C17 3 light window under a flat arch. The south wall has
2 similar C14 windows. To the left is the 1693 porch with
parapet and clasping pilaster buttresses. Capitals support an
entablature. Arched entrance with imposts and panelled spandrel.
Keystone inscribed: "RS:HP HW 1693". Inner moulded arched
doorway. to the left is a single similar C14 window. C15
clerestory has 6 windows each with 3 arched lights under a flat
arch. Interior. 4 bay C14 nave arcade with octagonal piers,
double chamfered arches, hood moulds and label stops. Moulded,
pointed arched doorway to the tower. Double chamfered chancel
arch, the inner chamfer supported on 2 corbels. Glazed screen
being constructed from C16 rood screen with cinquefoil arched
panels, each cusp terminating in 3 small orbs. Trefoil panels
over surmounted by crocketed finials. In the chancel is a
restored C14 sedilia with cinquefoil arches and crocketed ogee
hood moulds with finials. Trefoil arched piscina, flanking the
top are single small ogee arched recesses for cruets. Similar
piscina in the south wall of the south aisle, the north wall of
the south aisle has a trefoil arched piscina, and flanking the
west window are single corbels. East chancel wall with remains
of C14 arched and cusped canopy. The restored pulpit has some
C17 decorative panelling. C19 panelled octagonal ashlar font.
C17 altar table. Some C18 benches. Remaining furniture C19 with
2 carved chairs. Remains of C18 clock mechanism. There is a
board detailing benefactions. In the chancel is the 1616
alabaster tomb with reclining effigies of William and Tabitha
Sacheverell. The male figure with head on a helmet and the
female figure with head on a pillow. The sides of the tomb are
decorated with incised carved figures next the inscription and
shield to the front. Further tomb to Raefe Sacheverell, 1605,
over and mounted onto the wall is an inscription plaque,
surrounded by painted shields. A band of modillion extends
under. The plaque is flanked by single Doric columns which
support a dentil cornice with shield over. There is a wall
tablet to Joseph Milner, 1750, the inscription flanked by
decorative scrolls. The wall tablet to Henry Sacheverell, 1598,
has coloured shields flanking the inscription with a modillion
surround rising to a round arch enclosing a coloured shield and
flanked by single obelisks. There are wall tablets to John
Wickliffe, 1792, that to Henry and Katherine Sitwell, 1691 is
surmounted by a segmental arch containing a single angel's head,
with painted shield over. The apron is decorated with a festoon.
Several C18 and Cl9 floor slabs. The west wall of the south
aisle has 7 C18 and C19 slate wall tablets to the Stevenson
family. Set into a raised dais are 3 C18 floor slabs and on the
south and north walls are 5 decorative C18 and Cl9 wall tablets
to the Wilkinson and Stevenson families by Winfield and Chilwell.
Under the east window of the south aisle is the C17 tomb of
Alicie Georgii Sitwell. The C15 nave roof has some moulded and
Listing NGR: SK5224532758
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.