If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of All Saints, Cotgrave

Description: Church of All Saints

Grade: I
Date Listed: 1 December 1965
English Heritage Building ID: 430462

OS Grid Reference: SK6441235344
OS Grid Coordinates: 464412, 335344
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9117, -1.0436

Location: Church Lane, Cotgrave, Nottinghamshire NG12 3HR

Locality: Cotgrave
Local Authority: Rushcliffe Borough Council
County: Nottinghamshire
Country: England
Postcode: NG12 3HR

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Cotgrave, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

SK 63 NW COTGRAVE CHURCH LANE
(south side)

3/53 Church of
1.12.65 All Saints

G.V. I

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, C19, restored 1877-8 by Evans
and Jolly. Dressed coursed rubble, ashlar and render. Slate
roofs with decorative ridges. Coped gables with single ridge
crosses to the east nave and the east chancel. Tower with
spire, nave, aisles, north organ chamber, north vestry, south
porch and chancel. Angle buttressed late C14 ashlar tower of 2
stages with bands. Embattled with spire and set on a moulded
plinth. The west side has a single arched C14 3 light window
with reticulated tracery. The south side has a doorway with 2
rectangular lights above. Each of the 4 C14 bell chamber
openings has 2 arched and cusped lights under a flat arch. The
north opening lacking mullion. Under that on the east side is a
single clock face. Projecting from the west wall of the north
aisle is a render and pantile lean-to. Buttressed dressed
coursed rubble north wall with moulded arched doorway with hood
mould and label stops. To the left are 2 restored C14 3 light
windows each with reticulated tracery under a flat arch. The
rendered C15 clerestory has 3 windows each with 2 arched and
cusped lights under a flat arch. The rendered C15 clerestory has
3 windows each with 2 arched and cusped lights under a flat arch.
To the left is the ashlar gabled C19 organ chamber set on a
chamfered plinth with single C19 arched 3 light window with
cusped panel tracery. Under is a single trefoil arched wall
tablet. To the left and slightly set back is the buttressed C19
vestry set on a chamfered plinth. The east wall has a single C19
arched window with 2 cinquefoil lights. Rendered diagonally
buttressed east chancel with single C19 arched 3 light window
with cusped panel tracery, hood mould and label stops. Rendered
south chancel with 2 C19 arched 2 light windows each with cusped
panel tracery, hood mould and label stops. Single central arched
C19 doorway with hood mould and label stops. The buttressed
dressed coursed rubble south aisle is set on a plinth and has in
the east wall a single arched restored C14 3 light window with
cusped tracery, hood mould and label stops. The south wall has 3
C19 3 light windows each with reticulated tracery under a flat
arch. To the left is the diagonally buttressed gabled porch with
decorative barge board and moulded arched C19 entrance with hood
mould and label stops. The side walls each have single windows
with 2 trefoil arched lights under a flat arch. Inner pointed
chamfered arched doorway with double door with pointed arched
panels. The west wall of the aisle has a single small lancet.
The clerestory corresponds to the north. Interior. Late C13 4
bay nave arcades with double chamfered arches, quatrefoil piers
with fillets and moulded capitals, the responds being corbels,
supported on the east side on single, carved human heads. Tall
chamfered tower arch with broach stops and wood and glass screen.
Evidence of widened nave seen by the off-centre C12 double
chamfered chancel arch, the inner order with broach stops is
supported on demi-columns with waterleaf capitals, the outer
order on jambs of roll moulding. Double chamfered chancel/organ
chamber arch, to the right is the doorway to the vestry. South
doorway with decorative spandrel. The east wall of the north
aisle has a single former window with 3 lights and reticulated
tracery. The south wall of the south aisle has an ogee arched
piscina. C18 wooden chest. Fragment of a shaft piscina
decorated with waterleaf. Remaining furniture C19 with an ashlar
octagonal font with decorated panels and a brass offerings box.
There are 2 boards detailing the 10 Commandments and a single
board with King Charles' Rules. The south chancel has a wall
tablet to Mildred Scrimshire, 1783, this is topped with a broken
pediment containing an obelisk decorated with a figure. On the
north wall is a tablet to William Lanson, 1800, this is
surmounted by a decorative sarcophagus and a tablet to Catherine
Browne, 1813. On the west nave wall is a plaque to Thomas Wood
Mensing, 1836.


Listing NGR: SK6441235345

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |