If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of St Nicholas, Linton

Description: Church of St Nicholas

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 23 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 432510

OS Grid Reference: TQ7545650144
OS Grid Coordinates: 575456, 150144
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2235, 0.5113

Location: Linton Hill, Linton, Kent ME17 4AW

Locality: Linton
Local Authority: Maidstone Borough Council
County: Kent
Country: England
Postcode: ME17 4AW

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Linton, Kent at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

LINTON HILL
TQ 75 SE LINTON
(East Side)
3/139 Church of St. Nicholas
23.5.67
GV II*
Parish church. C14 and C15. Alterations and additions of 1860 by
R.C. Hussey in a C15 style. Ragstone, with plain tile roof. Nave,
south aisle, south porch, chancel, south chancel chapel, north chancel
chapel. Nave and south aisle extended to west and north aisle and north-
west tower added in 1860. Nave: Probably C14, extended in 1860. West
End: small blocks of evenly-coursed stone. Chamfered stone plinth.
One buttress. C19 four-light window and pointed-arched doorway with
squared hoodmould and brattished canopy. South aisle: C14, extended to
west in 1860. Re-faced in 1860 with small blocks of evenly-coursed stone.
Chamfered stone plinth. Gabled. Three C19 three-light windows; one to
west and 2 flanking porch. South porch: C19, with stonework and plinth
similar to nave. Carved bargeboards. Moulded outer and plain-chamfered
inner doorway. South chancel chapel: later C14. Roughly coursed stone
on un-dressed plinth. Two C19 windows, one blocked 2-light to south,
one 3-light to east in a C15 style. Chancel: C14, re-faced, and
probably extended, in C19. Diagonal north-east and south-east buttresses.
2-light C19 windows to north and south.
Moulded pointed-arched south doorway. Vestry: C19. Low, and at right-
angles to chancel. North chancel chapel: C15 or early C16. Roughly
coursed galleted stone, with high moulded stone plinth. Gabled. C19
east window of 3 stepped lights and similar north window. North aisle:
1860. Chamfered stone plinth. Gabled. Two 3-light north windows.
North-west tower: 1860. Three stages, on moulded stone plinth, with
moulded off-sets between stages. Clasping buttresses. Recessed stone
spire. Two 2-light windows to each face of belfry. Small rectangular
north light to second stage and trefoil-headed lights to north and west
of bottom stage. Pointed-arched north doorway. West clock. South face
abuts nave. Interior: Structure: 3-bay south arcade to nave of doubly
plain-chamfered pointed arches; 2 east bays C14, west bay C19 in a C14
style. Columns with scroll-moulded capitals. 2-bay north arcade to nave
in a C14 style. Tower protrudes into north-west end bay. Tall pointed-
arched C15 chancel arch, with continuous outer moulding, and inner moulding
springing on each side from concave-sided semi-octagonal shaft with
moulded capital and base. Later C14 doubly plain-chamfered pointed arch
between chancel and south chapel, springing from attached semi-octagonal
columns with moulded capitals and bases. Pointed doubly plain-chamfered
arch dying into wall between south chapel and south aisle. 4-centred
doubly hollow-chamfered C15 or early C16 arch between chancel and north
chapel, inner order springing from attached semi-octagonal columns with
moulded capitals and high moulded bases. C19 arch between north chapel
and north aisle. Chamfered medieval rere-arch to blocked south window
of south chapel. Roof: Medieval crown-post roof to nave, with 3 moulded
octagonal crown-posts and ribbed C19 boarding under rafters. 2
medieval moulded octagonal crown-posts to south chapel. C19 boarded
wagon roof to chancel. Fittings: moulded cinquefoil-
headed niche with splayed reveals, to east wall of chancel. Small pointed-
arched plain-chamfered piscina adjacent to niche. Traceried wooden screen
with moulded, brattished cornice between chancel and south chapel.
Intricately-carved wooden screen under chancel arch, with vaulted wooden
canopy, enriched cornice and parapet, erected 1949. Monuments: hanging
monument on north wall of north aisle, to Sir Anthony Mayne, d.1627, and
2 wives. Alabaster, with convex corniced plinth. Three-quarter-length
figures between 4 Corinthian columns, with entablature arched over
centre. Achievements of Sir Anthony under arch, and heraldic shield
over each wife above entablature. Seated mourner (Faithful Gardener?)
above arch. Monuments within north chancel chapel: standing monument
against north wall, to Sir Anthony Mayne, d.1615, and wife. Alabaster.
Rectangular chest bearing inscription, surmounted by kneeling figures,
flanked by Corinthian columns bearing entablature with convex cornice.
Achievements above cornice. Vestiges of family tree carved and painted
on back panel. Gothic monument against north wall, to Galfridus Mann,
d.1756. Designed by Richard Bentley 1758: erected at expense of Horace
Walpole. Chest tomb on plain base, chest with trefoils in relief and with
plain central inscription in Latin. Above, a marble urn under crocketed
arch, soffit of arch panelled with quatrefoils. Tablet on north wall to
Eleanor Mann, d.1751. Rectangular, with foliated base plate. Inscribed
panel flanked by cupid terms. Moulded cornice, with flaming urn to each
end, surmounted by grey marble obelisk with white marble dragon rising
from urn. Tablet on south wall to Maria Isabella Mann, d.1823. Signed
E.H. Baily. Inscription on rectangular plinth beneath elderly mourner
seated in relief against gadrooned urn, with draped tapering back plate.
White marble tablet on south wall to Julia, Countess Cornwallis, d.1847,
by Baily. White marble on black ground, flanked by draped semi-octagonal
pilasters with moulded capitals linked by arch in relief. Tablet on west
wall to Edward Mann, d.1775. White marble on brown ground. Base-plate
with achievements. Oval inscription panel with moulded cornice surmounted
by urn against obelisk. Tablet on east wall to Charles James Mann,
d.1835 aged 22, and sister Jemima Isabella Wykeham Martin, d.1836, by
Baily. Rectangular consoled inscription panel surmounted by segmental-
headed white marble tablet on black marble base-plate, with 2 large
draped urns in relief. Free-standing white marble monument in north-
east corner, to the same Charles James Mann, signed by Baily. Young
man lying upon Grecian couch. Free-standing marble monument in south-
west corner, to Laura, Countess Cornwallis, d.1840, by Baily. Woman,
book in hand, turning on couch. (J. Newman, B.O.E. series, West Kent
and the Weald, 1980).


Listing NGR: TQ7538950165

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.