Description: Church of the Holy Trinity
Date Listed: 17 December 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 433130
OS Grid Reference: NZ5243129598
OS Grid Coordinates: 452431, 529598
Latitude/Longitude: 54.6588, -1.1888
SEATON CAREW CHURCH STREET
NZ 52 NW
7/140 Church of The Holy
Church, nave and tower of 1831, by T. Pickersgill; chancel 1842 by Jackson;
altered 1864 and 1891; tower altered c.1980. Dressed limestone and Welsh
slate roofs with stone gable copings. Nave, chancel, south porch, north
vestry and west tower; in C13 style. 3-stage tower has angle pilaster
buttresses, moulded strings between stages and rebuilt embattled parapet
with obelisk angle finials. Chamfered south doorway under hoodmould; tall
lancet to west face of lower stage; lancets to middle stage and metal open-
work clock faces attached to paired louvred belfry lancets under stopped
hoodmoulds. 4-bay nave has pilaster buttresses to angles and between
chamfered lancets, with leaded-light glazing, under hoodmoulds. Moulded
eaves cornice and low-pitched roof with cross finial to gable. Lower 4-bay
chancel has lancets under continuous string course; gabled porch to 3rd bay
with chamfered doorway under stopped hoodmould and trefoil opening.
Tripartite lancet east window. Cross finials to gables of nave and chancel.
Queen-post trusses to chancel roof. Stained glass by Wailes c.1917, in east
Listing NGR: NZ5243129598
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.