Church of St Martin, Acrise
Description: Church of St Martin
Date Listed: 29 December 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 433551
OS Grid Reference: TR1938542235
OS Grid Coordinates: 619385, 142235
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1373, 1.1346
Location: Acrise, Kent CT18 8JX
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
Explore more of the area around Acrise, Kent at Explore Britain.
TR 14 SE ACRISE
4/4 Church of
Parish church. Late Cll or C12, C13 and C18. Partly-rendered flint, with
vestigial herringbone courses. Stone dressings. Plain tile roof. Nave,
and slightly narrower chancel. South porch to nave. Nave: plinthless.
Two buttresses to west end, with lean-to with C19 pointed-arched light
between them. Half-hipped roof with rectangular shingled belfry to top.
Louvred two-light window to each face of belfry. Splay-footed shingled
octagonal spire with weathervane. Three broad, round-headed leaded
windows to south elevation, one to west and two to east of porch.
South porch: C18. Chequered red and grey brick, with plain tile roof.
Brick plinth. Dentilled brick eaves cornice. Roof hipped to front. No
windows. Open outer doorway with elliptical head and pair of half-height
iron gates. Rectangular inner doorway with moulded wooden architrave and
tall C18 double doors, each of four fielded panels. Black and white marble
floor. Chancel: plinthless. Same eaves as nave, but lower ridge.
Large round-headed south-west window in ashlared architrave with raised
outer verges. Narrow plain-chamfered pointed-arched lancet. Blocked
(late C11 or C12?) round-headed south-east window with plain-chamfered
stone head and jambs. Blocked round-headed doorway under and to right
of south-west window. East gable end has large stone quoins, and
chamfered offset about half way up wall. Pointed-arched window of two
cinquefoil-headed lights and sexfoil, without overall architrave. Tall
pointed-arched plain-chamfered north lancet. Nave: north elevation:
three broad round-headed windows in unchamfered rendered surrounds.
Interior: structure: pointed C13 chancel arch, plain-chamfered to east
and with hollow-chamfered imposts. West face of arch incorporates
voussoirs carved with embattling, from a late Cll or C12 arch or doorway. Short
re-used angle shafts to west face of archway. Low pointed-arched C13
west doorway with continuous double-quirked roll moulding to its west face,
visible from within C19 west lean-to. Roof: restored crown-post roof to
nave, with three slender moulded octagonal crown posts, that to east end
truncated, and with sous-laces, ashlar-pieces and moulded cornice. Similar
roof to chancel. Fittings: octagonal stone font with panelled sides and
octagonal stem with moulded capital and base. Pammet floor. C18 gallery
to west end, on slender octagonal posts, with frieze of sunk moulded panels
and with turned balusters and moulded rail. Royal arms of 1689.
Monuments: monument on south wall of nave, to William Turner, d.1729.
Round-headed inscription panel with fielded-panel pilasters flanked by
inverted scrolls. Moulded plinth, breaking forwards on consoles under
pilasters. Shaped base plate with palm fronds. Moulded broken-based
segmental pediment with coat of arms to each end and achievements above.
Cartouche on east wall of nave, south of chancel arch, to Ann Papellon,
d. 1693. Two grieving cherubs, and urn, to top, two winged cherubs'
heads to base, and shield over winged skull crowned with ivy. Signed by
Joseph Helby. Brass to Mary Heyman, d.1601, to south wall of chancel.
Brass to Alexander Hamon, d.1613. Monument to Lionel Mackinnon, d.1854,
on north wall of nave; parchment scroll with chamfered cornice, and
triangular pediment carved with military trophies, with antefixae and
black marble back plate, signed T. Gaffin. Monument on north wall of
nave, to Thomas Papillon, d.1838. Tablet with plain inscription panel,
and recessed side panels with channel. Moulded cornice. Moulded plinth
with three balls under it towards each end. Shaped black marble back
plate with coloured coat of arms. (J. Newman, Buildings of England Series,
North-east and East Kent, 1983 edn.)
Listing NGR: TR1984942818
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.