If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of St Peter and St Paul, Teston

Description: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 23 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 433710

OS Grid Reference: TQ7055153506
OS Grid Coordinates: 570551, 153506
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2552, 0.4427

Location: 3 Church Street, Teston, Kent ME18 5AJ

Locality: Teston
Local Authority: Maidstone Borough Council
County: Kent
Country: England
Postcode: ME18 5AJ

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Teston, Kent at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

CHURCH STREET
TQ 75 SW TESTON
(South Side)
2/247 Church of St.
Peter and St. Paul
23.5.67
GV II*

Parish church. Rebuilt 1736 for Sir Philip Boteler. Alterations of 1848.
Roughly coursed galleted ragstone with ashlar dressings. Plain tile roof.
Wood shingles to spire. Cruciform, with west tower. West tower: 2 stages.
Red and grey brick parapet with ashlar dressings, above ashlar plat band.
Octagonal spire with weathervane. Round-arched louvred belfry windows with
keystones. Smaller rounded-arched window with keystone, to base of upper
stage. Narrow round-headed window to low sections in angles between
tower and nave. Recessed panelled double doors to west in proud eared
and shouldered stone architrave surmounted by rectangular fanlight with
moulded stone cornice. Architrave hinged on each side for outer doors.
Nave: south-west buttress. Stone-coped gable ends with moulded stone
kneelers. Two round-headed windows with proud stone architraves, plain
imposts, and keystones. South transept: flanking gable buttresses.
Stone-coped gable with moulded kneelers. Mid C19 south and west windows.
East window similar to nave windows. South doorway similar to west
doorway; but with ashlar panel in place of fanlight. Small round-headed
panelled door to east with bevelled stone architrave. Small iron oven?
door to base of south side. Chancel: flanking gable buttresses. Stone-
coped gable with moulded kneelers. Single-light C19 windows to north and
south, C19 three-light east window. Memorial tablet with shallow cornice
and consoles to east end, to Revd. James Ramsay, d.1789. North transept:
gabled as rest. No east window. C19 west light. 3-light C19 north
window with moulded stone cill extending across gable end below it. East
doorway and north doorway as in south transept. Nave: north elevation:
west end buttress. Coped gable. Two windows similar to south windows.
Interior: structure: entrance lobby under tower with channelled render to
walls, and plastered quadripartite vault springing from bell corbels.
Large blocked round-headed window between nave and ringing chamber of
tower, with proud stone architrave, imposts and keystone. Internal north
and south doorways to transepts to same design as external doorways.
Roof: canted and boarded throughout. Fittings: 2-light medieval window
with trefoil-headed lights and un-traceried pointed arch re-set as sedile
in south wall of chancel. Medieval stone aumbry with chamfered segmental
head to west of sedile. Blocked window with triangular head to north
wall of chancel. Wooden reredos of circa 1736, extending across east end,
with broad central panel flanked by fluted engaged Corinthian columns
and surmounted by dentilled and moulded open-topped triangular pediment.
Fluted Corinthian pilasters and dentilled and moulded cornice to four
side panels. Eared and shouldered central panel with Ten Commandments,
outer panels with texts, Creed and Lord's Prayer. Hexagonal C18 pulpit
with inlaid fielded panels, moulded base and cornice, and turned balusters
to stairs. Octagonal stone font. Iron heating grille with fretwork
design running up centre of nave and across transepts. Royal Arms to
east wall of north transept, signed and dated John Adams 1811. Six
funeral hatchments to nave. (J. Newman, B.O.E. Series, West Kent and
the Weald, 1980).


Listing NGR: TQ7042453504

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |