Description: Livesey Memorial Hall
Date Listed: 25 April 1995
English Heritage Building ID: 436244
OS Grid Reference: TQ3655172102
OS Grid Coordinates: 536551, 172102
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4315, -0.0371
TQ 3672 PERRY HILL
779-/31/10050 Livesley Memorial Hall
Recreation Hall. Built 1911 by S.Y.Shoubridge for the employees of the South Suburban Gas Company. Erected as a memorial for Sir George Livesey (1834-1908), Chairman of the company. London stock brick (made by the Gas Company) on concrete foundations with Burmantoft terracotta dressing. Red-tiled shallow pitched roof with hipped ends and finials. Single storey 'E' plan with steps rising to square, double-arched central entrance porch. Entrance doors of hardwood with six panels hung folding in two leaves, with semi-circular fan light above. Above the porch, a terracotta balustrade with comer piers topped with pierced urn-like finials. A large faience panel above porch arches depicts a beige banner and floral stems on a green ground. Raised letters in oxblood: 'LIVESEY MEMORIAL HALL.' Building stretches four bays either side of porch, with last bay forming pedimented gable end pierced by Venetian windows. Doric pilasters divide the other bays, each has a rectangular window set in round-headed terracotta surrounds, also at rear. Small paned, clear-glazed windows. INTERIOR. Large hall with raised stage at south end. Coved ceiling; classical cornice and pilasters divide the walls into bays. Billiard room and reading room to the right now form an open bar area. HISTORY. Much of the building work was carried out by the Gas Company itself George Thomas Livesey, knighted in 1902, initiated many technical improvements in the design of gas holders. He was the builder of the Greenwich Gas Works (1883) and was a pioneeer of Co-partnership (profit-sharing) within the industry.
Listing NGR: TQ3655172102
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.