If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Augustine
Date Listed: 1 December 1965
English Heritage Building ID: 448073
OS Grid Reference: SK7388246104
OS Grid Coordinates: 473882, 346104
Latitude/Longitude: 53.0072, -0.9004
Explore more of the area around Flintham, Nottinghamshire at Explore Britain.
FLINTHAM CHURCH LANE
(north east side)
7/64 Church of
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, restored 1828 by
Nicholson for Colonel Hildyard, and 1896 by Hodgson Fowler.
Coursed and herringbone rubble and ashlar. Lead and slate roofs.
Nave, crossing tower and chancel. Nave, 3 bays, C15 style, 1828.
Chamfered plinth, diagonal and intermediate gabled buttresses,
moulded eaves, coped parapet and gables. Windows are triple
lancets with panel tracery and hood moulds. South side has to
west, splayed doorcase with hood mould, traceried panelled door,
and triple overlight. To right, 2 lancets. west gable has a
lancet. North side has 3 lancets. East gable has to right,
small door to stair turret. Unbuttressed crossing tower, C13,
single stage, has chamfered plinth and dressed stone quoins.
Moulded eaves and coped parapet. Pyramidal slate roof with
finial and weathercock. South side has blocked C13 arch
containing C19 double lancet, C15 style, with four centred arched
head. Above, unglazed opening. Above, each side has a C19
cusped double lancet, C15 style, with hood mould. West side has
to left, canted stair turret with moulded eaves and conical roof.
Blocked C13 opening. Chancel, C13 and C14, 3 bays, has chamfered
and moulded plinth, stepped sill band, chamfered eaves, coped
gable with cross. North side has central blocked doorway with,
above it, C13 lancet. To left, similar blocked lancet. To
right, similar taller lancet. All have hood moulds. East end
has 2 pairs of gabled corner buttresses. C16 four light lancet
with coved reveal, hood mould and mask stops. South side has
gabled buttresses. Off-centre C13 chamfered priest's door,
flanked to left by 2 C13 lancets, all with hood moulds. To
right, C14 double lancet with Y tracery, hood mould and foliate
stops. Aisleless nave has panelled dado, moulded cornice and
panelled plaster ceiling. South side has late C19 glazed draught
enclosure. East end has to left, canted stair turret with
broached corner. Crossing has to east and west chamfered C13
arches with round filleted responds and moulded capitals and
bases. Hood mould on east side. North and south sides have
blocked C13 arches with simpler moulding. Chancel has C16 low
pitched roof, restored C19, with moulded cambered tie beams,
moulded purlins and matchboarding. North side has to east,
chamfered aumbry. South side has to east C13 piscina with cove
moulded trefoil head with hood mould. Westernmost window has re-
set C18 stained glass Arms. Built up central platform with
ashlar gradine. Fittings include font, C14, moulded base,
octagonal ringed stem, plain octagonal bowl with coved rim.
Flat C18 wooden cover with large oval knob. Unusual oak altar
rail with turned cylindrical balusters and moulded rail, possibly
made from stair balustrade, c.1600. 4 similar balusters
assembled into side table. Large oak altar table, turned legs,
low stretchers, chip carved top rail, c.1600. Panelled oak
chest with painted inscription "WB TS 1633". C19 wooden lectern,
with turned stem. C19 traceried panelled oak pulpit. Panelled
benches with moulded ends, late C19. Clergy desk, late C19.
Panelled oak choir stalls and book stands, mid C20. Monuments
include framed benefaction board, c.1811, signed "J D Curtis
Sc". Large alabaster wall tablet with Latin inscription on slate
tablet to Richard Hooker, 1654. Scroll brackets, flanking
panels with cornucopiae and arms. Crest with painted Achievement
and scroll brackets. C13 effigy of Crusader, damaged. Reputed
to be Sir John Hose. Marble tablets 1785 and 1860. 4 Thoroton
and Hildyard family hatchments, late C18 and C19. 3 Hildyard
family brasses, C20. Large Baroque style painted wood memorial
tablet to Thoroton and Hildyard families, 1977. War memorial
brass, 1920. Stone tablet, C20.
Listing NGR: SK7387846105
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.