If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of St Mary, Shelton

Description: Church of St Mary

Grade: II
Date Listed: 1 December 1965
English Heritage Building ID: 448169

OS Grid Reference: SK7802644621
OS Grid Coordinates: 478026, 344621
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9932, -0.8390

Location: Shelton, Nottinghamshire NG23 5JQ

Locality: Shelton
Local Authority: Rushcliffe Borough Council
County: Nottinghamshire
Country: England
Postcode: NG23 5JQ

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Listing Text

SHELTON MAIN STREET
SK 74 SE
(north west side)
5/143
Church of St. Mary
1.12.65

II*

Parish church. Cll, C13, tower demolished and bellcote built
1837. Restored, re-roofed, and chancel rebuilt, vestry added
1878. Coursed rubble and ashlar with concrete tile roofs.
Chamfered eaves and coped gables with crosses. Nave, south aisle,
chancel, vestry, south porch. Nave, C13, 2 bays, has chamfered
plinth. West end has a chamfered lancet with hood mould and mask
stops. Above, corbelled shouldered bellcote with coped gable and
cross. 2 chamfered cusped head openings and trefoil in peak.
North side has 2 C19 lancets with hood moulds. That to left has
mask stops. Smaller lancet to right has re-set foliate stops. To
left, external stack with round stalk. Vestry, 2 bays, has
chamfered eaves and coped gables with kneelers. North side has to
west, re-set chamfered doorway, C13, with hood mould. East end
has lancet with hood mould. 2 re-set capitals with nailhead, and
2 moulded arch stones. Chancel, 2 bays, has at east end C13 style
stepped triple lancet with hood mould and mask stops. South side
has to left, tall lancet and to right, restored C13 lancet with
hood mould. South porch, restored 1878, has C13 style doorway
with filleted roll moulded head dying into chamfered reveal. Hood
mould with foliate stops. Interior has C14 stone benches and
common rafter roof with collars. Inner doorway, Cll, has 2 small
colonettes with simple waterleaf and volute capitals, and single
larger shaft with carved volute capital. Chamfered lintel. South
arcade, C13, 3 bays, has 2 round piers and responds. Piers have
moulded round bases and simple moulded capitals. Responds have
moulded square bases and that to east has waterleaf capital. That
to west has plaque with Arms of William Warburton. Chamfered
arches have hood moulds. Common rafter roof with collars and
ashlar pieces. West window has late C19 stained glass. North
side west window has mid C19 patterned stained glass. East window
has stained glass, 1869. South aisle has east window with C13
colonettes and good stained glass, 1870s. South side has to east,
large C13 piscina with cusped head, filleted roll and cove
moulding, hood mould with remains of stops. To west, remains of
chamfered stoup on plain bracket. Lean-to roof, 1878, with 3 re-
set corbels and ashlar pieces. Chancel has moulded pointed wooden
arch with turned imposts on moulded corbels, set in timber
framework with billeted lintel. Heavily restored traceried
panelled screen, C15, with billeted transom and bressumer. North
side has chamfered recess to organ chamber. To right, C13 style
moulded piscina with shafts and hood mould. East end has window
with shafts and poor C19 stained glass. South side has to east,
window with patterned C19 stained glass. To west, window with
stained glass signed "J. Hardman 1983". Common rafter roof with
collars and ashlar pieces. Fittings include mid C17 font with
tapered octagonal stem with ring, and plain octagonal bowl. Flat
wood cover with upright brass cross. Traceried panelled oak
pulpit on chamfered octagonal ashlar base, 1886. C19 lectern with
turned bracketed wooden stem. Choir stalls with shaped ends and
trefoil panels, matchboard benches with carved, shaped ends, 1878.
Organ in trefoil panelled case. Monuments include 2 large
fragments of C10 cross with interlace decoration. Benefaction
board, mid C18. Oval slate cartouche with Classical marble
tablet, to William Ffarmerie, 1826. Signed "H. Marshall, Newark".
Marble and slate tablet to Samuel Maltby and wife (victims of the
Indian Mutiny), 1857. Egyptian style table to Robert Hall, 1838.
4 brasses to Wright family, C19. Brass, 1944.


Listing NGR: SK7802644621

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |