Church of St Peter, Nottingham
Description: Church of St Peter
Date Listed: 11 August 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 457227
OS Grid Reference: SK5522940632
OS Grid Coordinates: 455229, 340632
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9602, -1.1792
Location: Hartley Road, Nottingham NG7 5AD
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
SK54SE HARTLEY ROAD, Radford
646-1/4/245 (North West side)
11/08/52 Church of St Peter
Church. 1812. By Henry Moses Wood of Nottingham. Chancel and
side chapel dated 1871. Vestry late C19 with mid C20 addition.
Ashlar with slate roofs. C20 addition yellow brick with stone
PLAN: chancel, organ chamber and vestry, aisleless nave, west
EXTERIOR: chancel and chapel, Gothic Revival style, has
plinth, buttresses, coped gables with crosses, and tile
crests. East end has a 5-light window with geometrical
tracery, north and south sides have single pointed arched
windows, all with hood moulds. Organ chamber, to south, has a
round-arched dated panel, with a round window above. Vestry,
to north, gabled, with flat roofed C20 addition.
Nave, Gothick style, 6 bays, has pointed arched openings with
hood moulds, and crenellated parapet. To south, 4 windows with
Y tracery, flanked to west by a matching doorway and to east
by a traceried window with a priest's door below it. North
side has 6 windows with Y tracery, and west end has 2 similar
Square west tower, 3 stages, has diagonal buttresses and
crenellated parapet. Pointed arched west door. Above, a
traceried round window on 3 sides. Bell stage has a pointed
arched opening on each side with Y tracery. In the north-west
angle, a single cell square projection with hipped roof.
INTERIOR: rendered. Chancel has heavily moulded arch with hood
mould and triple marble shafts. Flanking the arch, segmental
pointed openings with altar to south and door to north.
Pointed arched barrel vault with wooden ribs. Windows have C19
Nave has moulded cornice and flat ceiling, pointed arched
doors and internal porch. C19 gallery removed and C20 screen
with stained glass panels inserted at west end.
Fittings mainly late C19 including octagonal ashlar font and
Wooden reredos, 1927. Memorials include Gothic marble tablet,
1840, and traceried panelled wooden war memorial, c1918.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
Listing NGR: SK5522940632
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.