Description: Barley Hall
Date Listed: 14 June 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 463138
OS Grid Reference: SE6029252030
OS Grid Coordinates: 460292, 452030
Latitude/Longitude: 53.9609, -1.0826
SE6052SW COFFEE YARD
1112-1/27/217 (North East side)
Formerly known as: Building on SE side, 30 yds SE of Stonegate
Probably Prebendal Hospice, later house. Probably C13
originally, with C15 hall; alterations of mid C15, c1600,
early C19; restored and partly reconstructed c1990.
Timber-framed, and brick with pantile and plain tile roofs.
PLAN: long range of medieval lodgings to north-east with a
late medieval hall house added at south-west, when first range
was adapted to form solar and private apartments to important
EXTERIOR: north-east range: now largely reconstructed re-using
original timbers where possible. Exterior completely rebuilt.
INTERIOR: retains a mutilated C17 brick stack and stairwell
with early C19 staircase.
South-east hall range: 2-bay 2-storey open hall, reconstructed
with original south-east wall and roof truss: central hall
truss re-used. Passage, now a thoroughfare, retains restored
original framing including ogee-arched entrance and blocked
service doorway with 4-centred head, both in chamfered
openings. Exterior to south-west completely rebuilt.
Extension of c1600 to south-east survives largely intact.
Exterior south-east wall brick with various later openings,
including 2-leaf lifting door above passage, and first floor
3-light window with rendered brick mullions. Interior has
brick chimney stack with two Tudor-arched fireplaces.
Restoration carried out c1990 by the York Archaeological
Trust, when much of the building was taken down and a complete
restoration of the medieval and late medieval fabric carried
out. Most of the timber-framing in the north-east range was
(Michelmore D and Wright R: The Coffee Yard Project: 1985-;
City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 232).
Listing NGR: SE6029252030
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.