Description: Crematorium, Camberwell New Cemetery
Date Listed: 17 September 1998
English Heritage Building ID: 470678
OS Grid Reference: TQ3601874595
OS Grid Coordinates: 536018, 174595
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4540, -0.0438
TQ3674NW BRENCHLEY GARDENS
636-1/66/113 (South East side)
Crematorium, Camberwell New Cemetery
Crematorium. 1939. Maurice Webb. Red brick plinth. Grey brick
in Flemish bond and stone dressings. High pyramidal roof
sheathed in copper to tower-cum-stack; hipped roof of green
pantiles to chapel.
STYLE: Italian Renaissance manner, stylised and showing the
influence of contemporary Scandinavian design.
PLAN: shallow, square chancel of one bay; nave of 2 bays, and
narthex. Ancillary structures to ritual south-east. Loggia of
7 bays to ritual east. Offices and stack to north and
EXTERIOR: west elevation has 3 flat-arched entrances, the
centre of which has a semicircular tympanum with low relief
carving of the Holy Spirit. Elevation has a definite
Brunelleschian air, divided into 3 bays by 4 giant pilasters
of the Composite order, quarter pilasters to porch re-entrant
corners. Tower square in plan with flush corner quoins, the
whole recalling the tower of St Mark's in Venice.
Of particular note is the east elevation, with round-arched
loggia between end bays, the rear wall bearing memorial
plaques and pierced by round-arched openings leading to chapel
and offices. Post WWII additions to the ritual north.
INTERIOR: plain walls, with high windows; coffered ceiling;
moulded chancel arch springing from fluted piers. Seating and
furnishings of an original design.
A subtle and handsome design which expresses the gravity of
Listing NGR: TQ3601874595
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.