Church of St Giles, Southwark
Description: Church of St Giles
Date Listed: 30 June 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 470699
OS Grid Reference: TQ3296576633
OS Grid Coordinates: 532965, 176633
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4730, -0.0869
Location: 49 Wilson Road, Camberwell, Greater London SE5 8QZ
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
TQ3276 CAMBERWELL CHURCH STREET
636-1/11/126 (South side)
30/06/54 Church of St Giles
Church. 1842-44. By Scott & Moffat, architects. Coursed grey
Kentish regstone with white ashlar dressings; copper roof.
STYLE: Middle Pointed.
PLAN: cruciform plan with plate tracery and bold broached
spire rising over crossing between nave, long chancel and
EXTERIOR: nave with clerestory and lower aisles of 5 bays with
gabled entrance porches in 2nd bay from end on both sides.
Chancel of 3 bays. Windows to north and south are pointed
double lancets beneath a foil between stepped buttresses.
Stepped angle buttresses to outer corners. Heavily detailed
tower of 2 stages, the lower of blank arcading, the upper with
paired, 2-light bell openings. Octagonal spire above.
INTERIOR: has arch braced roof; lierne vault at crossing and
very high tower arches. Alternately round and octagonal piers
with foliated capitals to nave. In the chancel is retained the
C14 sedilia and piscina from the former church. South transept
as Lady Chapel, north as organ chamber.
STAINED GLASS: in the large east window by Ward & Nixon to
designs by Ruskin and Oldfield; in chancel remains by Lavers &
Barraud. Transepts have glass by Comper to replace 2 Morris
windows destroyed in War. West window by Ward & Nixon
incorporates some C13 pieces.
Undercroft of 5 barrel-vaulted brick aisles.
Church built to replace medieval church which was destroyed by
fire in 1841.
(Howell P: Victorian Churches: London: 1989-: 81).
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.