New Peckham Mosque (Former Church of St Mark), Southwark
Description: New Peckham Mosque (Former Church of St Mark)
Date Listed: 30 June 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 470793
OS Grid Reference: TQ3367877920
OS Grid Coordinates: 533678, 177920
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4844, -0.0762
Location: Waite Street, Camberwell, Greater London SE5 0HU
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
TQ3377 COBOURG ROAD
636-1/10/219 (East side)
30/06/54 New Peckham Mosque (former Church of
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St Mark)
Church, now mosque. 1879-80. By Norman Shaw, completed at west
end 1931-2 by Victor Heal. (Additions to east end of 1883 by
Shaw removed after bomb damage.)
MATERIALS: red brick with stone dressings; slate roofs,
steeply pitched over nave, hipped over aisles.
PLAN: a hall church with wide, double-aisled 3-bay nave,
chancel and short chancel aisles; some Perpendicular detail.
EXTERIOR: West end completed C20 with full height 1-bay
extension of nave (as Baptistry?) with wooden clock tower with
copper spike and larger, more elaborately traceried west
window; flat roofed, 1-storey entrance bays to either side.
Main body of church has tall, pointed windows with simple
Y-tracery and hoodmoulds.
INTERIOR: has timber groin-vaulted nave and aisles of equal
height. Freestanding octagonal brick piers and aisle walls
encased in (original) cement dado, moulded to resemble wood.
Chancel screen on dwarf stone wall is decorated within the
apex of the chancel arch with Perpendicular detail.
Listing NGR: TQ3367877920
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.