Description: Provincial House and Gatepiers to North East
Date Listed: 29 July 1999
English Heritage Building ID: 475835
OS Grid Reference: SU4263210994
OS Grid Coordinates: 442632, 110994
Latitude/Longitude: 50.8969, -1.3952
SU 4210 SOUTHAMPTON CANUTE ROAD
983/5/10031 Provincial House and
gatepiers to NE
Bank. 1927-9; by F.C.R. Palmer, for the National Provincial Bank. Buff-coloured Flemish bond brick with red brick and Portland stone dressings. Clay plain tile hipped roof with moulded Portland stone eaves. Side stacks with Portland stone weathering to set-offs and moulded stone caps.
PLAN: Almost square, parallelogram on plan, to fit site adjacent to former railway; with entrance and staircase on north front and banking hall at back.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys and attic. Symmetrical 3-bay north front, the corners with quoins set back; the ground floor windows and large central round-arch doorway with rusticated architraves, voussoirs and band at impost level; broad stone stringcourse above and tall central first floor window in moulded stone architrave with cornice on consoles; flanking windows and second floor window above in red brick architraves with keystones, the second floor window flanked by carved stone festoons; cornice and balustrade above with urns on corners; the attic above is set back and has hipped roof with dormer with segmental pediment. The side and rear elevations are similarly treated. Rainwater heads dated 1928.
INTERIOR: Banking hall has a moulded plaster ceiling. Small entrance vestibule and geometric stone staircase with iron balustrade with brass handrail.
Listing NGR: SU4267711030
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.