Description: New Court Numbers 1-30
Date Listed: 20 August 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 477331
OS Grid Reference: TQ2646185870
OS Grid Coordinates: 526461, 185870
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5575, -0.1772
TQ2685NW FLASK WALK
798-1/26/457 (North side)
20/08/86 New Court Nos.1-30 (consec)
Block of 30 artisans' flats. 1854. Built for philanthropic
solicitor Hugh Jackson; architect unknown. Yellow stock brick
with red brick dressings; continuous plain brick sill bands to
upper floors and rusticated brick quoins at angles and
articulating central bays. Slate pitched roof with projecting
bracketed eaves and tall slab chimney-stacks.
5 storeys. 12 windows. Recessed open stone staircases with
landing balconies between windows 2 and 3, 6 and 7, 10 and 11.
Cambered arches to windows; transom and mullion casements to
windows flanking stairs and sashes to those between.
INTERIORS: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the second earliest surviving example of
artisans' flats, for the "deserving poor" in regular
employment, predating the foundation of the Peabody Trust and
the Improved Industrial Dwellings Company. The earliest
surviving block of this kind is the Streatham Street Buildings
(now Parnell House), (qv). Hugh Jackson was the father of
architect TG Jackson.
Listing NGR: TQ2648685795
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.