Description: Stanley Buildings, Flats Numbers 1-20
Date Listed: 11 March 1994
English Heritage Building ID: 478165
OS Grid Reference: TQ3008383195
OS Grid Coordinates: 530083, 183195
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5327, -0.1260
TQ3083SW STANLEY PASSAGE
798-1/85/1817 (South side)
11/03/94 Stanley Buildings, flats Nos.1-20
Philanthropic flats. 1865. By Matthew Allen. For the Improved
Industrial Dwellings Company under the guidance of Sydney
Waterlow. Painted stucco to ground floor where it is treated
as rustication, and to the full-height, balconied recesses and
window architraves. Brick in Flemish bond to projecting
ranges; moulded brick to cornice; roof parapeted.
EXTERIOR: 5 storeys. Brick ranges of 2 windows each, alternate
with 2-bay balcony ranges to produce a bay rhythm of
A:B:A:B:A. Balconies supported by cast-iron columns and
enclosed by railings in a lattice pattern; the rear walls of
the recesses with segmental-arched openings and pilasters with
stylised Ionic capitals; the balcony fascia composed of a
simple metal beam. All windows to brick ranges flat arched.
Utilitarian style to rear elevation dominated by ablution and
scullery towers. Returns unfenestrated.
INTERIORS: not inspected.
Forms a group with flats Nos 21-30, Clarence Passage (qv) to
the south, and with the King's Cross Gasholders, Goods Way
(qqv) and Barlow's great shed to St Pancras Station, Euston
Road (qv). Among the earliest blocks built by Waterlow's
influential and prolific IIDC, Stanley Buildings are in
addition an integral part of a dramatic Victorian industrial
Listing NGR: TQ3008383195
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.