St Vedasts School for Boys, Sarum Chase, Camden
Description: St Vedasts School for Boys, Sarum Chase
Date Listed: 14 May 1974
English Heritage Building ID: 478549
OS Grid Reference: TQ2559086380
OS Grid Coordinates: 525590, 186380
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5623, -0.1896
Location: W Heath Road, Camden Town, Greater London NW3 7UX
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
TQ2586SE WEST HEATH ROAD
798-1/15/1710 (South side)
14/05/74 St Vedast's School for Boys, Sarum
(Formerly Listed as:
WEST HEATH ROAD
Private house, now a school. c1932. By Vyvyan Salisbury for
his uncle the painter and stained glass artist Frank
Salisbury; alterations, 1963. Brown brick with stone
dressings; range to left of entrance, black and white timber
framed. Hipped slated roofs with dormers, brick "Tudor"
chimneys and gargoyles.
EXTERIOR: mainly 2 storeys and attics. Irregular facade in
elaborate medieval pastiche. Asymmetrically set, projecting,
gabled entrance bay with ground floor projecting porch flanked
by curved walls, with mullion windows, forming a shallow
forecourt. Porch has a 4-centred arch entrance flanked by
small vertically set windows with hood moulds; double heavy
timber doors. Plaque over doorway inscribed "Strength, beauty
and valour". Above the porch, a tall transom and mullion oriel
window. To right at 1st floor level a gable with small oriel
having penthouse roof. To left, 2 timber-framed, gabled
dormers and a range of lights all with leaded diamond panes in
overhanging 1st floor; ground floor of this range with 8-light
projecting transom and mullion window. Left hand projecting
brick wing with full height 5-light oriel window and, to right
a single storey entrance range across the front of the
timber-framed bay and joining the curved forecourt wall;
4-centred arch entrance and transom and mullion windows. Some
stained glass in various windows.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Listing NGR: TQ2559086380
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.