Description: Chapel at Royal Victoria Infirmary
Date Listed: 15 November 1999
English Heritage Building ID: 479033
OS Grid Reference: NZ2443465030
OS Grid Coordinates: 424434, 565030
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9793, -1.6198
NZ 2465 SW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE QUEEN VICTORIA ROAD
1833/13/10107 Chapel at Royal Victoria
Hospital chapel. 1900-05. Designed by Newcombe & Adams. Brick with stone dressings. Exterior now very largely hidden by later buildings. Single storey. Greek cross plan.
INTERIOR has wooden floor and faience tile walls and mosaic vaults. Square central space has round arched opening to each face flanked by single lower segmental arches with spandrel in each corner leading to central shallow dome covered in gold mosaic tiles and with 8 dormer windows. Each wing has triple arched arcades either side and above barrel vault with pale blue mosaic tiles. Altar in north wing raised on marble step, decorated wooden altar and wooden reredos behind with five painted panels on gold ground showing the holy family and the evangelists. Fine pulpit to left and similarly elaborate lectern to right. Stained glass windows. Modern wooden pews.
Listing NGR: NZ2443465030
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.