Convent of Our Lady of Charity, Bartestree
Description: Convent of Our Lady of Charity
Date Listed: 11 October 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 480018
OS Grid Reference: SO5685640619
OS Grid Coordinates: 356856, 240619
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0623, -2.6307
Location: 39 Frome Park, Bartestree, County of Herefordshire HR1 4DX
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
SO 54 SE BARTESTREE
765/2/10007 Convent of Our Lady of
Convent. Founded 1863, with the first building by Edward Welby Pugin, additions of 1881, 1889 and 1895 by Chick. Gothic Revival style. Red brick building with tiled roof, polychrome brickwork and ashlar dressings. On a commanding site with main entrance elevation facing east. Includes the convent chapel and former great hall adjoining to west, forming an L-plan with the entrance elevation aligned north/south; the remaining later sections to west and north are not of special interest. The east elevation has a two storey domestic range to the right with the chapel to left of a forward projecting tower of two stages with a pyramidal roof. The domestic range has a string course, four single vertical glazing bar sash windows and gabled half-dormer to the left and a similar window to the right of the gabled section with a rose window in the gable and two single vertical glzing bar sash windows. The ground floor has a similar window of larger proportions with continuous and connecting lintels and a further decorative band connecting the cills, pointed-arch headed doorway with decorative lable and 2-light window to right of gabled section. The tower to the left of the domestic range echoes the string course and decorative bands, 2-light vents to bell-stage with polychrome heads, 2-light window to first stage echoing the window on the ground floor of the domestic range to the right of doorway, elaborate corbelling over the corner entrance to ground floor. Convent chapel to the left with corbel table, arcading above projecting lean-to walkway to the ground floor, plain 3-centred arched windows with rose window above in arches, apsidal end to chapel obscured to east elevation by the Chapel of St James projecting forward to the east, four windows with two cinquefoil headed lights and an elongated sexfoil.
Interior: The Convent chapel retains a fine contemporary reredos, now damaged (November 1999).
Listing NGR: SO5685640619
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.