Church of All Saints, Brighton
Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 13 October 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 480061
OS Grid Reference: TQ3023209087
OS Grid Coordinates: 530232, 109087
Latitude/Longitude: 50.8666, -0.1507
Location: The Village Barn, Brighton, Brighton and Hove BN1 8YG
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
There is also a scheduled monument, Dovecote at Patcham Court Farm, 80m North West of All Saints Church, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
TQ3009SW CHURCH HILL, Patcham
577-1/15/1001 (East side)
13/10/52 Church of All Saints
Anglican church. Nave C12. tower C13 and chancel C14;
restorations 1824-5, 1856, 1883, 1898 and 1989; north aisle
and vestry added 1898. Flint with stone dressings, the walls
all rendered except for the north aisle and vestry, which are
of flint with brick bands and dressings; roof of tiles except
to tower which is slated. Chancel, nave, north aisle, west
tower, south porch and vestry.
EXTERIOR: east window of 3 lights with curvilinear tracery
under a hoodmould; 2 lancets with trefoiled heads on south
side of chancel; 2-light window with similar detailing to
nave, east of porch; then a 2-light window with ogee heads
under a flat hoodmould between porch and tower; east and west
angles of the nave buttressed; east window to north aisle of 3
lights with curvilinear tracery, and a louvre window in apex
of gable; 3 north windows, the easternmost as for east window
of north aisle; the 2 western windows are of 3 lights with
cinquefoil heads under a flat hoodmould, and one dates from
the first half of the C19; stones from what appears to be a
Norman doorway are in the north wall of the aisle; west window
of north aisle curvilinear. West tower with massive angle
buttressing at south-west corner; 3 narrow lancets in west
face of tower and splay-footed spire. Gabled south porch with
C14 pointed-arched entrance.
INTERIOR: chancel reordered 1989, leaving a panelled dado at
the east end and part of the side walls, of 1883 apart from
the 'reredos', made from choir stalls dismembered in 1989;
north wall has the chalk monument of Richard Shelley (died
1594) with grave-diggers flanking the family arms; chancel
roof boarded and panelled; the chancel arch is round-arched
with replacement impost blocks (1964) and a C13 wall-painting
of Christ in Judgment remaining in part above it, and revealed
in 1879; nave of 3 bays: octagonal piers with simplified
water-leaf capitals supporting pointed arches with an inner
order of stone, chamfered, and an outer order of moulded
brick; queen-post roof to nave, probably of late C16 date; the
level of the chancel floor extends into the nave following
reordering in 1989.
(Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-;
Barrows A, Harben J & Oldfield E: All Saints' Patcham Church
Guide and Parish History: Brighton: 1990-).
Listing NGR: TQ3023209087
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.