Church of St Wulfran, Brighton
Description: Church of St Wulfran
Date Listed: 13 October 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 480790
OS Grid Reference: TQ3553903559
OS Grid Coordinates: 535539, 103559
Latitude/Longitude: 50.8157, -0.0774
Location: The Green, Brighton, Brighton and Hove BN2 7BQ
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
TQ3503NE GREENWAYS, Ovingdean
577-1/52/989 (West side)
13/10/52 Church of St Wulfran
(Formerly Listed as:
St Wulfran's Church)
Anglican church. Chancel and nave early C12, tower late C13,
porch C19, restoration of the church 1867, south chapel 1907,
north-west vestry c1985. Flint with stone dressings; roof
chiefly of tiles, but that to the north side of the nave and
the north-west vestry of slate.
EXTERIOR: one round-arched lancet to east end and one each to
either side of chancel; the south-east chapel has a single
lancet in the east end and a blocked arch in its west end;
south side has two 2-light windows with cusped lancets either
side of the gabled porch which has a pointed chamfered arch;
the easternmost of these windows is set under a massive
relieving arch which, like the blocked arch in the south
chapel, is a relic of a former south aisle. The north side has
2 lancets and a blocked, round-arched doorway; the vestry has
3 round-arched lancets and a 4-light flat-arched window with
hoodmould to the west.
Tower of 2 stages; 2 lancets to the lower part of the second
stage, south and west, and 2 to upper part, south and north;
corbelled circular stack to south-east corner; pyramidal spire
INTERIOR: the chancel has aumbries either side of the altar,
low down; one low pointed-arched opening, and another higher
round-arched opening, both giving onto the south chapel in
addition to a pointed-arched entrance presumably of 1907; the
east end is painted with scenes of the Passion; crown-post
roof, the ceiling and timbers stencilled to designs by CE
Kempe, 1867; chancel arch rebuilt as one central round arch
with a lower round arch on either side 1865-7; rood figures
under a canopy in a late Gothic style by CE Kempe, 1907;
boarded ceiling to nave; pointed arch to tower; stained glass
in the nave and tower by CE Kempe.
(Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-; Typed
guide in the church).
Listing NGR: TQ3553803560
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.