Description: Blackfriars Arts Centre
Date Listed: 27 March 1949
English Heritage Building ID: 486475
OS Grid Reference: TF3289643921
OS Grid Coordinates: 532896, 343921
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9762, -0.0222
TF3243NE SPAIN LANE
716-1/10/180 (South side)
27/05/49 Blackfriars Arts Centre
(Formerly Listed as:
Refectory range of Dominican Friary, now an arts centre.
Building heavily restored and altered 1963. Coursed and
squared limestone rubble with ashlar dressings. C20 plain
tiled roof and C20 wirecut brick gable end to east.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, irregular 7-bay front, with moulded
string course and C20 chamfered stone cornice. Beneath the
string course are 5 projecting chamfered stone corbels. To the
right a C20 broad arched opening containing recessed
contemporary entrance doors. To left 2 small round openings,
in situ on C18 print of building, with between a blocked
opening. Further to the left 2 C14 pointed openings with
chamfered surrounds with between a taller segmental-headed
opening with recessed blocking. To 1st floor 4 restored
2-light openings with pointed stone heads and chamfered
mullions and three 2-light timber casements, with timber
lintels. All windows with lead cames. Rebuilt eastern gable
with casement windows of 1963 date.
INTERIOR: retains 2 plain low stone arches and a repositioned
C17 stair with large turned balusters, panelled newels with
ball finials, moulded handrails.
Listing NGR: TF3289643921
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.