Town Clock, Redcar and Cleveland
Description: Town Clock
Date Listed: 29 April 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 60303
OS Grid Reference: NZ6024525222
OS Grid Coordinates: 460245, 525222
Latitude/Longitude: 54.6186, -1.0686
Location: West Terrace, Redcar, Redcar and Cleveland TS10 1AG
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
REDCAR HIGH STREET EAST
NZ 62 NW
(middle of road)
2/48 Town Clock
Memorial Clock tower, 1913, by John Dobson (Redcar), in memory of King
Edward VII. Red engineering brick in English bond, with faceted rusticated
brickwork in upper part of top stage. Concrete dressings and rockfaced
whinstone plinth. Plain clay tiled roof. 3-stage tower with diagonal
buttresses supporting volutes on shallow bases. Round-headed opening in
each face with archivolt, imposts and keystone, below frieze. On each face,
frieze holds nowy-headed tablet with scrolled wings; that on south side has
bronze plate with raised lettering: "1901 E.R. 1910 IN GRATEFUL AND LOYAL
MEMORY OF EDWARD VII REX ET IMPERATOR. ERECTED FROM SUBSCRIPTIONS RAISED BY
INHABITANTS OF REDCAR, COATHAM AND DISTRICT". Each face of middle stage has
round-headed window with leaded lights in enriched aedicule. Bartizans,
with watershots at angles of top stage flanking enriched swags below clock
faces in oculi with moulded surrounds. Diminutive arcaded bell openings
below eaves. Pyramidal roof has metal ship weather vane and compass finial.
An important local landmark.
Listing NGR: NZ6024525222
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.