Red Barns House and Red Barns Hotel, Redcar
Description: Red Barns House and Red Barns Hotel
Date Listed: 29 April 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 60338
OS Grid Reference: NZ5966824923
OS Grid Coordinates: 459668, 524923
Latitude/Longitude: 54.6159, -1.0775
Location: 31 Kirkleatham Street, Redcar, Redcar and Cleveland TS10 1QW
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
REDCAR KIRKLEATHAM STREET,
NZ 52 SE
4/82 Red Barns House and Red
Large Rouse, 1868-70 by Philip Webb, for Thomas Hugh Bell; stables added
1875-76 and west extension 1881-82, also by Webb. Stable extended c.1900.
West extension and stables now an hotel. Handmade multicoloured reddish
brick in English bond; clay pantile roofs. Georgian vernacular revival
style. 2 storeys and attics, 6 bays, the right end bay a projecting
cross-gabled 1881 wing, now part of hotel; and lower 2-storey, 3-bay
further right stable and extensions. 2nd bay of original house has gabled
covered way, with later iron gate, leading to inset porch with round window;
boarded door in right return of porch. Another round window on first floor
of 3rd bay; other window sashes, with glazing bars and segmental heads,
double at ground floor in 5th bay. First-floor sill string. 3rd bay raised
to 3 storeys, with square-headed window and hipped roof. Main roof hipped
at left, has slightly-overhanging eaves. Similar but irregular fenestration
in right end bay with coped gable, and in stable and extensions.
Asymmetrically-placed transverse and axial stacks. Left return shows canted
bay window under tiled projecting gable overhanging at sides; and 2 hipped
roof dormers with casements. Rear garden front has 3-bay main house at
right, with altered projecting drawing-room and narrow gabled left linking
bay to projecting west extension. A one-storey corridor projection links
all 3 parts; and there are one-storey west extensions. Similar fenestration
to front, and 2 tripartite windows in west block whose roof is raised to a
pyramidal shape, with central stack, and has sprocketed eaves. Former
stables,altered and partly concealed by later extensions, retain original
raised, pyramidal-roofed lantern. Interior: house part retains panelling,
shutters and plain boarded staircase. History: plaque on north of west wing
: GERTRUDE LOWTHIAN BELL AT ONE TIME LIVED IN THIS HOUSE. SCHOLAR,
TRAVELLER, ADMINISTRATOR AND PEACE MAKER. A FRIEND OF THE ARABS. Of
special architectural interest in showing Philip Webb's transition to a
local vernacular style. Altered and extended former stables included for
group value. Late C20 one-storey extension is not of interest.
Listing NGR: NZ5966824923
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.