Date Listed: 27 November 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 62915
OS Grid Reference: SW9030744260
OS Grid Coordinates: 190307, 44260
Latitude/Longitude: 50.2610, -4.9434
Location: Tregoney, Cornwall TR2 5UB
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
In the entry for
SW 94 SW TREGONY
Amend the date in the description at the end of the third line to "1925"
and amend the date in the beginning of the seventeenth line to "1925"
SW 94 SW TREGONY
Country house, formerly larger. 1686 reset datestone and altered including
remodelling by H Repton circa 1792 and extended with flanking wings by Henry
Harrison of London 1831 and possibly rear wings. Flanking wings removed circa 1950.
Dressed and finely coursed slatestone to front with rubble stone or face-brick
elsewhere, Delabole dry slate roofs with gable ends to rear wings. C20 roof of main
part hidden by parapet over moulded cornice. Double depth plan with nearly central
stair well, plus rear wings. 2 storeys with part basement and 3 storey wings.
Symmetrical 7 window east front with 3 centre bays broken forward below simple plain
pediment. Central doorway with glazed double doors and spoken fanlight over.
Stonework immediately beside door and above containing datestone is a later
infilling possibly following removal of doorcase or porch. 12-paned wood sashes
with thin glazing bars, possibly 1831. Those without horns (in the break forward)
may date from Repton's time. Original flat arches over openings. First floor sill
band. Moulded cornice and plain ashlar parapet: possibly by Repton. High coupled
stucco chimneys possibly by Harrison. The north front contains Tuscan distyle in
antis pedimented pricnipal entrance broken forward with tripartite sash over and
datestone 1934 in walling above. Lighting basement to left are two 2-light granite
moulded mullioned windows possibly reused from earlier house. High walling to right
surrounding courtyard and masking part of rear contains arched granite doorway. C18
lead downpipes left and right. South face of rear wing 16-pane wood sashes.
Interior has several rooms with original panelling. Oak panelled room to south-east
corner and pine panelled room to north-east both have robust bolection mouldings.
Main room between hall has marble chimneypiece in mid C18 style. Ceiling cornices in
several rooms of various periods. Lantern over stair well.
Trewarthenick was home of Gregor family from 1640. A watercolour of house dated
1792 shows the original treatment of the front. Repton's Red Book for the property
survives in the County Record Office. Rubble stone terrace walls with ashlar
capping before the east front. Notable member of family was William Gregor, who
discovered Manaccanite circa 1790, later renamed Titanium after German analyst J C
Claproth also isolated the metal in 1795 (Church guide).
Henry Harrison c.1785-c.1865 (q.v. Ennys 1833, Mylor Parish; Port Elliot St Germans
parish Pevsner Buildings of England, 1970 NRM, CRO, D Stroud The Works of H Repton
Listing NGR: SW9030744260
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.