If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Ellenglaze Manor, Cubert

Description: Ellenglaze Manor

Grade: II
Date Listed: 30 May 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 63650

OS Grid Reference: SW7757457850
OS Grid Coordinates: 177574, 57850
Latitude/Longitude: 50.3784, -5.1298

Location: Ellenglaze Lane, Cubert, Cornwall TR8 5PU

Locality: Cubert
County: Cornwall
Country: England
Postcode: TR8 5PU

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Listing Text

CUBERT
SW 75 NE
2/5 Ellenglaze Manor
30.5.67
II

Farmhouse, now house. Probably mid - late C17 origin; rebuilt and extended circa
late C18, with addition of circa 1820; later alterations and additions of C19 and
C20. Stone rubble and cob; rendered. Hipped slate roof with ridge tiles. Stacks to
left and right with granite shafts. The front right wing is in squared stone rubble
with hipped slate roof with ridge tiles.
Plan: The remains of the C17 house now form a rear wing to right; this consists of a
dairy at ground floor with chamber above; Circa late C18, an addition was made at
right angles to left; this is a double depth plan, with central entrance and
principal room to front left and right, each heated from an end stack. Stair hall to
rear left and service rooms to rear right, incorporating the C17 fragment to rear
right. Circa 1820 a one-room plan addition was made to the right end, with a bow
front projecting to front right, joining at the rear with the C17 range; the front
room is heated from a back to back fireplace with the end stack to right. At the
left end of the C18 range, there is a C19 workshop/outshut, and also of C19 a stable
with loft and dovecot was added to rear right, behind the C17 range.
Exterior: 2 storeys, symmetrical 3-window front, with the 2-storey wing projecting to
right. Ground floor has two late C19 French windows with external shutters; central
C18 6-panelled door with overlight, doorcase with pediment. First floor has three
C19 16-pane sashes. The wing to right is built into the bank at the right side; at
the front there is an early C19 16-pane sash with Gothic glazing bars at upper level.
The right side of the wing has blocked window and C20 2-light casement; at first
floor to left there is a small early C19 single Gothic casement and to right a 2-
light C19 Gothic casement with lattice glazing. The lower 2-storey C17 wing is to
right, set back. At ground floor there is a 2-light 8-pane casement and recessed 8-
pane window with granite jambs. At first floor there is a 2-light 6-pane C19
casement and a C17 3-light casement with wooden ovolo-moulded mullions, with leaded
cames and iron stanchions and timber lintel. The roof of the C18 range is extended
over this wing, the roof hipped. Attached to right is a 2-storey stone rubble and
cob range, which is the C19 stable, with asbestos slate roof and a C20 garage
attached at the rear gable end. The inner side has half-glazed C20 door with
cambered brick arch and C20 2-light casement with timber lintel; first floor has
paired C19 8-pane sashes and 3 rows of square pigeon holes. The left end of the C18
range has single storey workshop lean-to with 8-pane window with lapped glazing and
C19 16-pane sash and C20 single light. The first floor has 4-pane window, C19 12-
pane sash and 24-pane sash lighting the stair. The rear of the main range has 4-pane
sash and 12-pane sash at ground floor, with C20 glazed door and 20-pane sash to end
right. First floor has two 12-pane sashes; the windows of C19. Attached to front
left of the house is a stable/coach house range; this is now a separate house, and
not included in the listing.
Interior: The main front range has been remodelled in C19 with good features of the
period; straight stair to left in the stair hall. The front right room at ground
floor has a cupboard to rear with glazed door with Gothic glazing bars; of the same
design as a cupboard in Cubert Vicarage (q.v.). In the C17 range, the dairy at
ground floor has roughly hewn ceiling beams and brick floor with slate shelves; the
ground floor level is continued to front as a cellar below the 1820 front wing. At
first floor, the room over the dairy has an early C18 2-panelled door and blocked end
fireplace; this is the room with the 3-light ovolo-moulded casement; internally the
mullions have flatter mouldings and there is a panelled window seat with bolection
mouldings.


Listing NGR: SW7757457850

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.