Description: Church of St Brueredus
Date Listed: 17 December 1962
English Heritage Building ID: 67459
OS Grid Reference: SX0972877346
OS Grid Coordinates: 209728, 77346
Latitude/Longitude: 50.5648, -4.6880
There is also a scheduled monument, Medieval Churchyard Cross 20m South of the Church of St Bruerdus, Churchtown, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
ST BREWARD CHURCHTOWN, St Breward
SX 07 NE
5/192 Church of St Brueredus
Parish Church. Dedicated to St Brueredus. Norman origins, with later work associated
with William Briuere, Bishop of Exeter, 1224-1245. Dedicated in 1278. Restored 1863-
64 by J P St Aubyn.
Granite ashlar south porch and south aisle. Stone rubble north wall and ashlar north
transept with straight joint possibly suggesting a widening to the north. Stone
rubble east wall to chancel with a distinct batter. Granite ashlar west tower.
Plan: Norman church possibly of cruciform plan with 6-bay north aisle, the probably
Norman piers extant. Partly altered by William Briuere, Bishop of Exeter. 1224-1245
when the fenestration was altered. 5-bay south aisle added in C15, possibly
contemporary with south porch and west tower. Restored in 1864 by J P Aubyn when the
north aisle was partly rebuilt (Maclean).
Exterior: Unbuttressed west tower of 3 stages with moulded plinth, strings and
battlemented parapet with crocketted finials. Recessed west door with 2-centred
arched opening with carved heads forming stops. Renewed C19 Perpendicular west
window. 3-light belfry openings with slate fenestration. North aisle has circa C13 2-
light windows with cusped heads with circa C13 window to north transept. Chancel
window replaced by J P Aubyn. Complete circa C15 Perpendicular tracery to south
aisle. South porch with 2-centred arched entrance with sundial above dated and signed
1792 T Symons.
Interior: C19 arch braced roofs to nave, chancel and north aisle and original circa
C15 waggon roof to south aisle. 6-bay north arcade with 5 restored Norman piers of
varying size and design in granite and Caen stone. 5-bay south arcade with type A
(Pevsner) piers and engaged western pier with multiple moulded shaft.
Font constructed of Norman fragments with square base, round shaft and unusual shaped
font bowl. Originally had cluster of 4 shafts around central shaft. Remains of circa
C15 carved bench ends. Remains of circa C15 rood loft or parclose screen forming
parclose screen between chancel and north aisle and part also reused at west end of
north aisle. Painted Royal Coat of Arms, 1700WR.
Memorials include remains of slate tombchest of Christian Rogers, 1609 with two
kneeling figures in relief: William Billing of Lanke, 1654 (of Higher Lank
Farmhouse): John Adams, 1609. The interior of St Breward Church was illustrated by
Thomas Rowlandson (1756-1827) in a cartoon of Dr Syntax in Search of the Picturesque
Rowlandson based his cartoon figure on Rev Ralph Baron and stayed at Hengar (in St
Tudy parish) on his visits between 1780 and 1812. Copies of the drawings are
displayed in the church, the original is in the British Museum.
Maclean, Sir John Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor, 1875
Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E The Buildings of England, Cornwall, 2nd Edition 1970
Polsue, J Lakes Parochial History of The County of Cornwall 1867, reprinted 1974.
Notes and guide in Church.
Listing NGR: SX0973077351
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.