Description: Church of St Mabena
Date Listed: 6 June 1969
English Heritage Building ID: 67752
OS Grid Reference: SX0417473201
OS Grid Coordinates: 204174, 73201
Latitude/Longitude: 50.5257, -4.7642
There is also a scheduled monument, Medieval Wayside Cross in St Mabyn Churchyard, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
ST MABYN ST MABYN
SX 07 SW
4/120 Church of St Mabena (Previously
6.6.69 listed as Church of St Mebena)
Parish church. Dedicated to St Mabena. Probably Norman origins with font surviving.
The existing fabric probably dates largely from the late C15. Church altered in 1818
and restored in 1884.
Ashlar slate stone with moulded plinth and wall plate. Rag slate roofs with gable
Fabric of circa late C15 with late C15 7-bay north and south aisles, south porch and
west tower. Church reseated and several monuments were taken down on institution of
Rev Granville Leveson-Gower in 1818. Church restored in 1884 and partly reseated in
Exterior: Tall unbuttressed west tower of 3-stages with battlemented parapet and
crocketted finials, the top stage decorated with 4 carved figures, possibly the
Evangelists. 4 centred catacleuse stone arch to west door with hollow chamfer
ornamented with carved florets. C19 door and C19 perpendicular west window. 3-light
belfry openings with slate panels and louvers. Church clock installed in 1950. 3-
light Perpendicular tracery in north and south aisles with 4-light east windows. 5-
light chancel window renewed or heavily restored. Projection for roof loft stair to
north aisle and blocked 4 centred arch to north door. South porch has a moulded 4
centred arch and a C15 waggon roof, the carved bosses removed. 4 centred arch to
Interior: Circa C19 plastered walls. Nave and chancel in one. Chamfered 4 centred
tower arch. Original ceiled C15 waggon roofs to nave and chancel and north and
south aisles with carved wall plates and carved bosses. Moulded ribs with carved
ribs at west end of chancel and at east ends of north and south aisles. 7 bay north
and south aisles with type A (Pevsner) piers with moulded bases and carved capitals
and 4 centred arches C19 furnishings with C20 chairs in nave and aisles.
Norman font of table-top type, square bowl decorated with blind arcade and round
ornamented shaft. Piscina in south wall of chancel. Early church wardens chest.
Memorials: C17 and C18 ledger stones remounted on exterior north wall of tower and
west wall of north aisle. Fragments of old glass it west window of south aisle. C19
Maclean, Sir John. Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor 1876
O'Connor, Michael Tate. A Brief History and description of St Mabyn Church. 1986
Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E. The Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd Edition 1970
Listing NGR: SX0418073202
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.