Church of St Uda, St Tudy
Description: Church of St Uda
Date Listed: 6 June 1969
English Heritage Building ID: 67804
OS Grid Reference: SX0661776302
OS Grid Coordinates: 206617, 76302
Latitude/Longitude: 50.5544, -4.7313
Location: Church Road, St Tudy, Cornwall PL30 3NN
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
ST TUDY CHURCHTOWN, St Tudy
8/174 (11/102) Church of St Uda
Parish Church. Dedicated to St Uda. Norman origins with font surviving and pre-
Norman Coped Stone found in Churchyard. C15 north and south aisles and tower.
Restored in 1873-4 by J. P. St Aubyn and in 1888, 1892 and 1932.
North wall of nave and east wall of chancel of slatestone rubble. North aisle of
roughly coursed slatestone and south aisle of roughly coursed ashlar slatestone with
moulded base and wall plate. Granite ashlar south porch. Slate roofs.
Plan and Development: The font suggests the Church has Norman origins. Pre-Norman
coped stone found in churchyard. In circa C15 a 6 bay south aisle and 3 bay north
east aisle were added, probably at the same time as the west tower. The south porch
was added shortly after. Restored in 1873-4. In 1888 the tower was repaired and in
1932 the sanctuary was altered.
Exterior: Tall unbuttressed west tower of 3 stages with battlemented parapet and
crocketted finials. Integral stair in north west corner. 4-centred granite moulded
arch to west door with hood mould and C19 door. Circa C15 west window, partly
restored. 3-light belfry openings with slate louvers.
3-light Perpendicular tracery in nave, north and south aisles, partly restored in the
late C19. Blocked C15 north door with 4-centred moulded arch and rood-loft
projection to north aisle. West window of north aisle with C19 Perpendicular tracery
and 4-light chancel window with C15 surround and tracery, the mullion renewed in the
C20. Rain-water hoppers dated 1829. South porch with 2-centred circa C15 arch with
Interior: Walls unplastered. Nave and chancel in one. 4-centred tower arch of
ashlar granite. Nave, north and south aisles with original C15 waggon roofs; moulded
ribs, carved wallplates and bosses with carved ribs in north aisle. Circa C19
6-bay south aisle and 3-bay north aisle with type A (Pevsner) piers, moulded capitals
and bases and 4-centred granite moulded arcade arches. Late C19 and C20 furnishings,
pulpit and screens. Piscina. Norman font; of table-top type; square bowl which has
chamfered corners and is decorated with blind arcading on sides, round shaft partly
restored with renewed base. Rood-loft stair intact.
Royal coat of arms above south door and 2 funeral hatchments in south aisle; one
displaying Michell and Hervey impaled and the other Sarel and Hervey. Pre-Norman
'Coped Stone' in south porch; is like a coffin lid with a hog-back shaped top carved
with interlacing and foliage scrolls and having blind arcading on the sides.
Memorials: Humfridi Nicholl (1597) with effigies of parents and children in shallow
relief and inscriptions in Latin and English; Antony Nicholl (1658) in marble and
stone, erected in 1681 by wife Amy; Granite stone of Margery Lower (1686); Phillippa
Silly of Trevelver 1669, daughter of Humphry Nicholl; memorial with 4 figures carved
in shallow relief with shields above, probably in memory of Alice, wife of William
Reskymer who died circa 1563-4. C19 and C20 memorials to Onslow family (qv Hengar).
On exterior of south aisle resited headstone of Charles Bligh (1770) of Tinten (qv).
Individual photographs of men of parish who served in the forces in First World War.
Glass: East window of chancel to John P. and E. A. Moyse-Magor (1879) of Lamellen
(qv). Remains of earlier glass in top lights of east windows.
Kelly's Directory of Cornwall, 1935.
Maclean Sir John Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor, 1876
Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E The Buildings of England, Cornwall, 2nd edition 1970
Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of The County of Cornwall, 1873 reprinted 1974
Illustration of Coped Stone by A G Langdon in The Builder 1889
Listing NGR: SX0661776306
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.