Church of Saint Paul, Ludgvan
Description: Church of Saint Paul
Date Listed: 10 June 1954
English Heritage Building ID: 70389
OS Grid Reference: SW5052333036
OS Grid Coordinates: 150523, 33036
Latitude/Longitude: 50.1448, -5.4932
Location: Church Hill, Ludgvan, Cornwall TR20 8EZ
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
There is also a scheduled monument, Wayside Cross in Ludgvan Churchyard, 8m East of the Church, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
LUDGVAN LUDGVAN CHURCHTOWN
SW 53 SW
8/37 Church of Saint Paul (formerly
- listed as Church of St Ludwan)
Parish church. Norman font, resited Norman doorway, possibly Norman south wall of
chancel, C15 tower, north arcade and parts of north aisle, otherwise rebuilt circa
1912 reusing some of the C15 window and other masonry. Granite ashlar tower,
otherwise granite rubble walls with grafiite or freestone dressings. Dry Delabole
slate roofs with coped gable ends.
Plan: nave/chancel under 1 roof; C15 west tower, C15 north aisle; 1912 south aisle
and porch. At the 1912 restoration, much of the north aisle was rebuilt, the south
aisle and south arcade probably entirely rebuilt, a doorway was cut through the
ancient south wall of the chancel, all the roofs were renewed, the plaster stripped
from the walls and the windows replaced or reset.
Exterior: virtually complete 2-stage C15 embattled west tower with basket-arched west
doorway, 3-light window over and louvred windows to the bell chamber. Circa C12
north doorway, resited circa 1840, otherwise 1912 Perpendicular style features with
reused C15 outer frames to some of the windows.
Interior: C15 6-bay north arcade; C15 4-centred tower arch springing from panelled
octagonal responds, C15 basket-arched doorway to blocked rood stair in north wall;
possibly C14 trefoil headed piscina; 2 blocked possibly C12 windows in south wall of
chancel and some old plaster to one of them, otherwise circa 1912 features including
south arcades and all the waggon roofs.
Fittings: C12 octagonal freestone font over later shaft and base; 1837 painted
Victoria coat of arms over rood stair doorway, otherwise later C19 or C20 fittings.
Monuments: slate with carved figures of parents and 5 children to John South, Rector
died 1637; slate to Ann, wife of Gull Borlase, Rector, died 1772; wall monument to
Catherine, wife of Nicholas Davy, died 1635; painted panel to wife of RD (presumably
Robert Davy), died 1703 and monument to Robert Davy, died 1796 aged 55 and Grace his
wife, died 1826 aged 73, parents of the eminent inventor Sir Humphrey Davy.
Listing NGR: SW5052333036
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.