If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Church of St Mewan, St Mewan

Description: Church of St Mewan

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 10 February 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 71432

OS Grid Reference: SW9983851849
OS Grid Coordinates: 199838, 51849
Latitude/Longitude: 50.3325, -4.8139

Location: St Mewan Lane, St Mewan, Cornwall PL26 7DP

Locality: St Mewan
County: Cornwall
Country: England
Postcode: PL26 7DP

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Listing Text

ST MEWAN ST MEWAN
SW 95 SE
4/92 Church of St Mewan
10.2.67
GV II*

Parish church. C12 origin; largely rebuilt mid - late C15 and restored circa 1851 by
G.E. Street. Granite rubble with granite dressings. Some squared granite rubble,
the tower in granite ashlar. Slate roofs with ridge tiles and gable ends with raised
coped verges and cross finials.
Plan: Nave and chancel in one, possibly of C12 origin and much rebuilt in C15 with
the addition of a north chancel aisle. Mid C15 south aisle with south porch. Late
C15 west tower, built to two stages only. Circa 1851, the north transept was rebuilt
and other alterations made by G.E. Street.
Exterior: The nave is concealed except for two bays to north, with two C19 windows,
each with 2-centred arch, of 3-lights, with varied tracery and hood moulds.
The chancel has 3 light C15 east window with cusped lights and Perpendicular tracery,
4-centred arch and hood mould. Slate headstone attached to the east wall with nowy
head, hourglass, pierced heart and cherub, to Nicholas Robin, 1733. C19 lancet to
north and south, with 2-centred arched head to north and 3-centred arched head to
south.
North transept The north gable end has C19 3-light window with cusped lights and
gable end stack. Single storey boilerhouse attached. To west a 2-centred arched
doorway, the door with strap hinges, and 3-light window with cusped lights, all C19.
North chancel aisle is of 2 bays. East end has C19 2-light window with cusped
lights, 2-centred arch and hood mould. 3-light C19 north widnow with cusped lights
and square head. Attached granite headstone to Ann .... of early C19 and marble
headstone to Maria Vivian, 1898.
The south aisle is of 5 bays with a chamfered plinth along the south side. Three
windows to south, of C19, with cusped lights, 4-centred arches and hood moulds.
Doorway at the east end with C19 door with strap hinges, 4-centred arch with recessed
spandrels and square hood mould. Attached headstone, to William Andrew, 1818. East
end has 3-light C15 Perpendicular window with cusped lights, 4-centred arch and hood
mould. West end has similar 4-light C15 Perpendicular window, with Y tracery, 4-
centred arch and hood mould..
The south aisle is of 5 bays with a chamfered plinth along the south side. Three
windows to south, of C19, with cusped lights, 4-centred arches and hood moulds.
Doorway at the east end with C19 door with strap hinges, 4-centred arch with recessed
spandrels and square hood mould. Attached headstone, to William Andrew, 1818. East
end has 3-light C15 Perpendicular window with cusped lights, 4-centred arch and hood
mould. West end has similar 4-light C15 Perpendicular window, with Y tracery, 4-
centred arched and hood mould.
The south porch is gabled, without plinth. 2-centred arched, chamfered outer
doorway. Interior of the porch has pitched slate floor and C19 wooden benches to
sides. C19 unceiled wagon roof. Inner doorway is chamfered with 2-centred arch, C19
door with strap hinges.
West tower in 2 stages on moulded plinth with weathered set-back buttresses,
embattled parapet with masks on the merlons, pinnacles with cable moulding and masks.
Pyramidal roof with half-hipped dormers as bell-openings. West doorway has 4-centred
arch with wave mouldings and hood mould, C19 door with strap hinges. C19 2-light
west window with cusped lights, 4-centred arch and hood mould. Second stage to east
has rectangular chamfered window; lancets for stair to north.
Interior: All C19 common rafter roofs, except the chancel, which has 3-bay roof of
C19 with cusped arched-ranges. Plastered walls except the chancel and north aisle.
Tall 4-centred tower arch with Pevsner A-type piers and C19 wooden and glazed screen.
3-bay south arcade with Pevsner A-type piers and 4-centred arches, and a similar arch
to the north transept. Chancel has a piscina with cusped arch to south. The east
window in the chancel has C12 nook-shafts, probably re-used in the C19 restoration,
with masks at the top of the shafts and a mask at the apex of the east wing. C19
panelled reredos. South aisle has an aumbry.
Fittings: C19 benches in south aisle and chancel. C19 carved wooden pulpit in the
nave. Re-carved C14 stone font in the nave with octagonal bowl and carved sides, set
on a C12 shaft with palmette style carving. Fragment of similar C12 carving in nave.
Monuments in nave: Marble monument on slate ground with urn, to William Oliver, 1838.
The chancel: marble tablet to William Hocker, 1842. In south aisle a painted shield
of arms to Sir Francis Layland, 1933. C19 stained glass.
Source: Pevnser, N.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970.


Listing NGR: SW9983851849

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |