If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


Orleigh Court, Buckland Brewer

Description: Orleigh Court

Grade: I
Date Listed: 22 January 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 91389

OS Grid Reference: SS4297322255
OS Grid Coordinates: 242973, 122255
Latitude/Longitude: 50.9782, -4.2382

Location: Buckland Brewer, Devon EX39 5EH

Locality: Buckland Brewer
Local Authority: Torridge District Council
County: Devon
Country: England
Postcode: EX39 5EH

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Explore more of the area around Buckland Brewer, Devon at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

BUCKLAND BREWER
SS42SW
6/72 Orleigh Court
22.1.52
I
Manor House. Early/mid C14 hall, built for the Dennys family,
altered when very fine late C15 hammer-beam roof installed;
altered c. 1720 for Joseph Davie, whose father, a Bideford
merchant, had acquired the property in 1684; exterior remodelled
after 1869 for Thomas Rogers by J.H. Hakewill; converted into
flats in 1982. Coursed slatestone rubble; gabled slate roof;
stone ridge stacks. Courtyard plan with open hall to right of
porch. Two-storey front elevation has wing projecting to left
making L-plan. Front to left, of 3-window range, has C20 door
and plate-glass casements set in chamfered stone architraves of
c. 1870. Main front wall, of 5-window range, has moulded
stone-mullioned and transomed windows of c. 1870 to left and to
gabled projection of c. 1870 on right; C20 door set in chamfered
architrave of c. 1870 to left; tall late C16/early C17 six-light
ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned and transomed window to right of
2-storey gabled porch. Porch has oriel window of c. 1870 above
late C15 archway, with vine-trails to outer arch and fleurons to
inner arch; C15 studded plank door with original lock set in
2-centred early C14 wave-moulded doorway. Left side wall, of
5-window range, has plate-glass sashes set in chamfered stone
architraves of c. 1870; right side wall, of 6-window range, has 2
lead downpipes dated c. 1720, and plate-glass sashes set in
moulded stone architraves of c. 1870. To rear is a fine brick
Venetian window of c. 1720, with thick glazing bars to fixed
panes and switch tracery to central fanlight. Interior: open
hall, to right of front porch, has stone-flag floor, flat stone
arch over open fireplace, plastered walls, and reset late C16
panelling with scallop-carved heads and blind arches with fluted
pilasters and carved spandrels. Main feature of open hall is the
fine late C15 four-bay hammer-beam roof, supported by various
head and figure corbels; heavily moulded wood cornice; hammer
beams have carved pendentives and are surmounted by unusual
heraldic beasts; moulded beams and purlins divide ceiling into
panels of diagonal and square framing with carved bosses; fine
arch-braced trusses. Early C18 panelled double doors, set in
moulded wood semi-circular arched architrave, lead to early C18
inner hall to rear right of open hall. This inner hall has
panelled doors, dado, moulded plaster ceiling and dog-leg
staircase with landing of c. 1720: fine staircase has
barley-twist balusters set in open string, decoratively-carved
brackets and panelled dado with fluted Doric half-columns.
Staircase is lit by Venetian window with fine fluted Corinthian
pilasters and Corinthian entablature. Landing has similar dado,
doors and plaster ceiling. First-floor rooms have
bolection-moulded panelling and fireplaces. Flat to left of
porch has late C16 dog-leg with landing staircase with turned
balusters set on closed string. Room over porch has mid C19
Gothic-style fireplace and ribbed ceiling. L-plan rear wing is
not of architectural or historical interest. History: Orleigh
was granted to Dennis family in C13 by Tavistock Abbey. Sold to
John Davie, a Bideford merchant, in 1684: his son Joseph altered
the house c. 1721.
(W.H. Rogers, Buckland Brewer, (undated book of c. 1920), pp.
50-54; National Monuments Record).


Listing NGR: SS4297322255

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |