Cardross, Main Road, Moore's Bridge, Cardross
Description: Cardross, Main Road, Moore's Bridge
Date Listed: 8 September 1980
Historic Scotland Building ID: 1155
OS Grid Coordinates: 234828, 677359
Latitude/Longitude: 55.9608, -4.6475
Location: Main Road, Cardross, Argyll and Bute G82 5JW
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
1688 datestone but late 19th century reconstruction. Rubble parapet with ashlar slab coping, clairvoyee at centre, rising to terminal piers; armorial plaque and datestone 1688 in pier to right; inscription in pier to left, "Not we but God Jean Watson"; decorative cast-iron railings at centre.
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.References:
F A Walker and F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992), p58. Arthur F JONES CARDROSS THE VILLAGE IN DAYS GONE BY (1985) p16.
The bridge carries the road over the Kilmahew Burn. The original bridge dates from 1688 and the benefactress was Jean Watson, a native of Cardross, who married a Leith merchant called Moore. Fragments of this early bridge are incorporated into the present late 19th century bridge, widened when the new road was constructed.
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.