Description: 23, 25 Rose Street, St Aloysius' Church (roman Catholic)
Date Listed: 15 December 1970
Historic Scotland Building ID: 33115
OS Grid Coordinates: 258559, 666016
Latitude/Longitude: 55.8665, -4.2618
C J Menart, 1908-10. Neo-Baroque Jesuit church with tall
campanile at NE corner. Nave, transept, side aisles.
Polished ashlar, rusticated base, plinth advancing to
podia. Giant order of tetrastyle fluted Corinthian
pilasters to entrances at Rose Street and Hill Street
with central corbelled elliptically-headed, keyblocked
light; narrow, round-headed aisle-lights to return
elevations; ground floor cornice; continuous die parapet
with balustrades; architraved, console keyblocked,
elliptically-headed clerestory windows set in linking
graduated string course; mutule cornice.
ELEVATION TO ROSE STREET: plain boundary wall at head of
double, return staircase 3 entrances with pilasters or
semi-engaged columns supporting lintels; panels above
with egg and dart surrounds, gold lettering DIVO ALOYSIO
SACRUM; sculpted panels at capital height; central
sculpture above window; outer bays small, plain aedicule
lights. Plain domestic block with linking string courses
to SW return. Rusticated wall with outer, corniced piers,
die parapet with balustrades.
ELEVATION TO HILL STREET: projecting transept/entrance
bays to W with central segmentally pedimented, pilastered
CAMPANILE: plain with recesses panelling to 2nd stage;
segmentally pedimented, keyblocked, louvred bellcote;
open aediculed final stage; gold ball and cross finial.
Concrete roofs and cuploas. Wrought-iron railings and
INTERIOR: nave arcade. Richly decorated side chapels.
S.R. Archives, D of G 2/2287 3 Sept 1908.
Notable for its use of concrete roofs.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Upraded B to A 21.7.88
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.