Loan, Former Drumlanrig Hospital, Hawick
Description: Loan, Former Drumlanrig Hospital
Date Listed: 19 August 1977
Historic Scotland Building ID: 34663
OS Grid Coordinates: 350070, 614203
Latitude/Longitude: 55.4192, -2.7903
Location: The Village, Hawick, The Scottish Borders TD9 0AU
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
There is also a scheduled monument, Hawick Moat Park, motte, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
1857. 2-storey, 11-bay, rectangular-plan, symmetrical, piend-roofed former poorhouse with prominent, Classical architrave to central doorway. Random whinstone rubble with droved red sandstone ashlar dressings. Eaves course. Projecting cills. Door with semicircular fanlight and narrow side lights within corniced architrave to centre bay of principal (NW) elevation; tripartite, stone-mullioned window above; regular fenestration elsewhere, with alternate ground-floor windows converted to doorways; N corner chamfered at ground floor and corbelled out to angle above. Central pediment to rear (SE) elevation (see NOTES).
Lying-pane glazing, predominantly 8-pane, in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with metal ridge.
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.References:
Shown on Ordnance Survey Town Plan (1857). Charles Alexander Strang, Borders and Berwick (RIAS, 1994), p137. R E Scott, Companion to Hawick and District, 3rd Edition (1998), p54. Alex F Young, Old Hawick (2004), p29. Information from Ian Landles of Hawick Archaeological Society.
A well-proportioned, mid-19th-century former poorhouse with good classical detailing to the principal doorway and a substantially unaltered profile.
Originally the Combination Poorhouse (or Workhouse) serving 11 parishes, the structure cost £4,000 to build, and could accommodate 133 inmates. It was used as an army hospital during the First World War, and in the 1930s was renamed Drumlanrig Poor Law Institution, serving only Roxburghshire. It has more recently served as a geriatric hospital, but closed down in 1994. It was being converted to sheltered housing at the time of resurvey (2007).
The rear elevation was not seen at resurvey as a result of the ongoing reconstruction works. It is understood that its central pediment with carved gable stone containing the Hawick coat of arms - sculpted by Thomas Beattie and taken from the Buccleuch Memorial (built in North Bridge Street in 1887) when the latter was demolished in 1971 - has been removed during these works for safekeeping, but is to be replaced on their completion. List description revised following resurvey (2008).
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.