Crookedholm, Main Road, Former Hurlford Kirk and Manse, Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers, Kilmarnock
Description: Crookedholm, Main Road, Former Hurlford Kirk and Manse, Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Date Listed: 7 December 2004
Historic Scotland Building ID: 42950
OS Grid Coordinates: 245268, 637198
Latitude/Longitude: 55.6037, -4.4576
Location: 20 Main Road, Hurlford, East Ayrshire KA3 6JT
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
J Ingram of Kilmarnock, 1875. Gothic church with steeple; manse alongside, recessed and adjoining at right; all built of rock-faced red ashlar, red-ridged slate roofs, and all set within own grounds, with boundary wall to street, iron-railed and also rock-faced ashlar, Gothic gatepiers.
CHURCH: gabled front to main road with wide entrance (sculptured marble roundel in tympanum); steeple to right alongside; essentially rectangular-plan. Unusually elaborate interior; pulpit, back-board, organ and organ gallery all very lavish; 3-sided gallery and 2-level aisles, decorative columns with foliate capitals; decorative plasterwork and open-timber roof; painted, leaded glass.
MANSE: 2-storeys, L-plan front, Gothic porch in re-entrant angle carried upwards with paired lancets; plate glass sash windows.
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.References:
Robert Close, ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE TO AYRSHIRE AND ARRAN;
SCOTTISH FIELD, November 1970.
References by courtesy of Mrs Greta Roberts and Miss Laura Strawhorn.
No longer in ecclesaistical use.
The congregation of the church and the United Free church amalgamated in 1996, and the Free Church also on Main Road, was chosen as the joint place of worship. The organ and memorial stained glass window from this church were removed to the former Free Church at about that time. The former Free Church, now Hurlford Church, is listed seperately.
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.