Description: 1 Dovemount Place, the Station Hotel
Date Listed: 18 November 2008
Historic Scotland Building ID: 51198
OS Grid Coordinates: 350397, 615214
Latitude/Longitude: 55.4283, -2.7853
1871. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay, symmetrical, gabled, platform-roofed former hotel on corner site, with Free Scots Renaissance and Baronial features. Tooled, squared, coursed yellow sandstone with polished ashlar dressings; painted right section of side elevation. Base course; eaves cornice to principal elevation. Quoin strips. Painted margins to ground floor of principal (Dovemount Place) elevation; raised cills to side (Laing Terrace) elevation.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: 2 stone steps to central, 6-panel timber door with fanlight in round-arched architrave flanked by Doric pilasters supporting advanced, gabled bay above with hoodmould to deeply recessed, shouldered window architrave at 1st floor, pilasters flanking window in round-arched margin to gable, and twinned, octagonal gablehead stacks. Slightly advanced windows to outer bays, corniced at ground floor; gabled dormers breaking eaves cornice. 4 bays to gabled right part of side elevation: 2 stone steps to recessed door with rectangular fanlight to outer right; projecting, corbelled stacks flanking bipartite window in gable. 2-storey, asymmetric left part of side elevation: broad, 2-leaf, timber-boarded door to courtyard at left; 2 steps to timber-boarded door at centre; 3 evenly spaced gabled dormers breaking eaves to attic.
Predominantly timber sash and case windows, with plate glass to principal elevation and 4-pane glazing to side. Grey slate roof with metal ridges. Moulded, ashlar-coped skews with scrolled skewputts. Corniced ashlar and brick stacks. Cast-iron rainwater goods with hoppers dated 1871 to principal elevation.
Shown on 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map (1897). Edgar's Hawick Guide, Directory, and Year Book (1906), p96. Alex F Young, Old Hawick (2004), p23. Kitty Cruft, John Dunbar and Richard Fawcett, The Buildings of Scotland: Borders (2006), p364.
A striking former hotel with boldly eclectic Scots Renaissance and Scots Baronial detailing, situated on a prominent corner site overlooking the main (A7) road into Hawick from the north.
At the time of the hotel's construction, Hawick Railway Station (closed 1969 and subsequently demolished) was directly across the road. It was billed as a 'first class family and commercial hotel' offering 'home comforts at modest prices' and, according to an advertisement in Edgar's Hawick Guide, Directory, and Year Book of 1906, an electric bell would ring in the hotel five minutes before a train arrived in the station.
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.