Ballachulish Hotel and Garden Walls (at South Ballachulish), Lismore And Appin
Description: Ballachulish Hotel and Garden Walls (at South Ballachulish)
Date Listed: 29 May 1985
Historic Scotland Building ID: 6881
OS Grid Coordinates: 205061, 759632
Latitude/Longitude: 56.6876, -5.1845
Location: A828, Highland PH49 4JY
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
There is also a scheduled monument, Ballachulish Home Farm, burial mound SW of Ballachulish Hotel, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
Circa 1870. Circa 1870, style of Alexander Ross. 2-storey and
attic asymmetrical building with Gothic and Baronial detailing. Principal fronts to north (facing former ferry) and west,
with entrance in NW re-entrant angle. All rubble with tooled
ashlar dressings; some modern harling to flanks and rear.
All principal ground floor windows are pointed headed, to
north in series of 4, linked by intervening shafted jambs;
similar detailing to fenestration of facetted single storey
bowed bay projecting at NE, with quatrefoil detailing
to balustrade. Further 2-storey facetted entrance porch in
NW re-entrant angle, with similar decoration to balustrade.
Recessed pointed-headed entrance into lobby. Some 1st
floor pointed-headed windows in north and east elevations;
Gabletted dormers, some breaking wallhead; 2 and 4-pane glazing. Bartizans flank wallhead angles of principal fronts, with
shouldered lancets and pepperpot conical slated roofs.
Trefoil vents to attic gables; band and cill courses; corniced
ridge stacks; slate roofs. Modern 2-storey extension and
bar entrance projects at east.
North gable end of steading range masked by 2-storey, T-plan lodge/service accommodation. All building materials as in
main hotel block; long dummy slits in each face of centre
projecting gabled wing, with band course and quatrefoil vent
in gable. Harled single storey range to rear. Garden walls;
low coped rubble wall fronts hotel; further enclosed by high
rubble wall to south.
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.References:
Groome's ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, i, (1882) p.112.
Source: Historic Scotland
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.