If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.


S Gatehouse at Ewenny Priory (house), Ewenny

Description: S Gatehouse at Ewenny Priory (house)

Grade: I
Date Listed: 3 March 1998
Cadw Building ID: 19471

OS Grid Coordinates: 291175, 177712
Latitude/Longitude: 51.4874, -3.5676

Location: Corntown, The Vale of Glamorgan CF35 5BW

Locality: Ewenny
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Country: Wales
Postcode: CF35 5BW

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Listing Text

Location
At the S boundary of Ewenny Priory garden adjoining the parkland S and the precinct wall W.

History
Originally part of the early defensive enclosure of C12 but substantially altered c 1300, like the N gatehouse; here a flanking tower was added on E side. Precinct wall adjoined on both sides but main S section was demolished in early C19 as part of extensive remodelling of house and landscape, the line roughly coinciding with the present haha. Gatehouse further altered in 1860s when it was converted by J Prichard into a cottage, involving much restoration and reconstruction of the medieval work including the 3 gateway arches. Top Lodge to S is a C19 version of this building and the 3 lodges are linked by a roughly N/S drive though this is no longer in use.

Interior
Interior of gatehouse is now roofless with no surviving division of storeys. Very deep and wide window embrasures; doorways at first floor level, to chamber over gateway and to former wall walk; inserted C19 firegrate with C18 fireback above. First floor room over gateway with pointed arched doorway has C19 fittings including metal windows, stone floor, and red and blue painted wall decoration; used as store for moulded stone fragments, now with a concrete roof; passage inside W wall of gatehouse probably led to former garderobe, similar to N gatehouse.

Exterior
Gothic Gatehouse faces S. Of coursed stone rubble with ashlar dressings . Plan of polygonal tower to E and gateway W; precinct wall adjoins at W and stretch of ruined precinct wall at E. S front of gateway has trefoil headed light under square hood mould to first floor just below the embattled parapet supported on a corbel table; below is the outer ashlar entrance arch with narrow chamfered imposts and broach stops. To right the projecting gatehouse has a deep spur base, arrow loop W, chamfered trefoil headed lights to each storey E and to first storey S, small slit lights, putlogs, culvert below ground level S; battlements with narrow string below. Within the gateway is a stone vault with rectangular openings in S bay; the semi-circular central arch retains nook shafts and heavy roll moulding of C12, putlogs and metal fittings for gate. N front of gateway has a chamfered pointed arch with broach stops at impost and base with C19 trefoil headed light above; battlements and corbels at S and buttresses with offsets to side. Gatehouse wing to E is recessed, with battlements above a narrow string as at S; external stone stair ascends to first floor through arched entrance with trefoil headed light to chamber adjacent; at ground floor level 2 further arched entrance doorways with a slit light between, left to former ground floor chamber and right to former inner stair; to left at NE corner a tower with spurred base and adjoining it at right angles the remains of the former S precinct wall.

Reason for Listing
Listed Grade I as it retains much medieval fabric; group value with other buildings of Ewenny Priory, in particular the W Precinct Wall and the Garden Wall.
Scheduled Ancient Monument Gm 190 (part).

References
Ralegh Radford C A, Ewenny Priory, HMSO official guide book, 1952;
Ewenny Tithe Map 1842;
Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 1877, scale 6" to the mile.

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Notes:
At the S boundary of Ewenny Priory garden adjoining the parkland S and the precinct wall W.

Source: Cadw

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.