If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

Interested in parks, gardens and open spaces? Check our our new sister site, Parks and Spaces.



Wyndcliffe Court, St Arvans

Description: Wyndcliffe Court

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 14 February 2001
Cadw Building ID: 24763

OS Grid Coordinates: 351798, 197252
Latitude/Longitude: 51.6715, -2.6971

Location: St Arvans, Chepstow, Monmouthshire NP6 6EY

Locality: St Arvans
County: Monmouthshire
Country: Wales
Postcode: NP6 6EY

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!


Listing Text

Location
On the west side of Penterry Lane about 400m north of the junction with Devauden Road.

History
A country house in the Jacobean style built in 1922 by Eric Francis of Chepstow for Charles Lee Clay who had previously lived at Piercefield House. It remains in almost unaltered condition. Eric Francis was a cousin of the Clays and designed several houses for the family.

Interior
Only the ground floor was seen at resurvey. The principal room is the Oak Room which takes up four bays of the centrepiece on the garden side. It has elaborate Jacobean style oak panelling, two stone fireplaces with Ionic oak surrounds, and a high relief plaster ceiling of vines and roses intertwined, with additional decoration to the cross beams. The plasterwork was done by Kebles. The panelling has Ionic pilasters to the main opening between the room parts and scalloped heads to doors and niches. The staircase is a plain closed string one with turned balusters and fircone finials to the newel posts. The house still has much of the original plumbing and the electrical fittings and switches etc.

Exterior
The house is built of coursed squared quarry-faced red sandstone rubble which was quarried on the land, and it has stone slate roofs. It is a long rectangular two-storeys-and-attic range with cross gables, with the entrance elevation on the north and the main show elevation on the south (garden) side; this has an E-plan. It is in a straightforward Jacobean/Arts-and-Crafts manner, as already seen in Francis' earlier Mounton House of 1912 for Avray Tipping (qv Mathern Community), although this house is more Jacobean and less Arts-and-Crafts in style.
The north elevation has three unequal gables of which the left hand one is the service end and the other two the main house, the left hand one being more plainly finished without coping or finials. From the left: a single storey L-shaped wing with woodshed and storehouse joined to the kitchen gable, which has two small paned casements below and one above; then comes a connecting piece to the main house with a window below and blind above, then the first bay of the house proper with a large and a small window on each floor plus a tripartite flat topped dormer above in the attic. Then comes the entrance gable which is set slightly forward. It has a doorway with moulded architrave and a large shell hood flanked by two small 2-light casements; above this is a 5-light casement. Coped gable with ball finial at kneelers and apex and a small oculus. The next bay has the ground floor in-line, with the gables and the upper floor set back. The ground floor has a 4-light window with balustrade above and two 2-light windows above this, 3-light attic dormer as before. The end gabled bay has a 3-light 2-transomed stair window and a 2-light casement above and below to the right. The gable is finished as before. The east gable end is plain; the west gable end has a canted stone oriel on the first floor.
The south elevation has a balanced centrepiece with unequal wings. From the left: a recessed wing with a 2-light casement on each floor; two flue stack with diamond set flues. Then comes the centrepiece of five bays; there is a cross-framed casement in both returns of the left hand gable. The outer bays of the five are gabled with coped gables and ball finials at apex and kneelers. 3-light mullion-and-transom window to each floor with an oculus in the attic. The centrepiece is also set forward, but not as much as the wings. It has a 4-light 2-transom window on the ground floor and a 4-light mullion-and-transom window above, all in an arched recess which rises to support a decorated, segmental pediment, a Jacobean feature. This centrepiece is flanked by 3-light windows, with transom on the ground floor. Two stacks with star-clustered flues on the ridge. Right hand gable as before but without windows on the left return; the outer return has french casements to a balcony over a 2-bay arched loggia, the balcony is balustraded. The service wing has an additional stack and eaves gables with more mullion-and -transom windows.

Reason for Listing
Included at a high grade as a good and unaltered Jacobean style house of 1922 which was designed by Eric Francis, and which retains an unaltered contemporary garden.

References
Richard Haslam, The Houses of H Avray Tipping, Part II, Country Life.
Information from the owners Mr and Mrs H A P Clay of Wyndcliffe Court.

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Notes:
On the west side of Penterry Lane about 400m north of the junction with Devauden Road.

Source: Cadw

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.




Share |