This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2564 / 51°15'23"N
Longitude: -2.2074 / 2°12'26"W
OS Eastings: 385622
OS Northings: 150828
OS Grid: ST856508
Mapcode National: GBR 1TL.0RY
Mapcode Global: VH978.PPD5
Entry Name: Penleigh House
Listing Date: 11 September 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1021471
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313744
Location: Dilton Marsh, Wiltshire, BA13
Civil Parish: Dilton Marsh
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Dilton Marsh
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
DILTON MARSH FAIRWOOD ROAD
ST 85 SE
4/106 Penleigh House
Country house. Late C17, extended 1710 for George Turner.
Rendered rubble stone, tiled roof with gable end rendered stacks.
T-plan main range with rear wing. Two-storey, 7-window 1710 east
front. Square stone C19 classical porch with double half-glazed
doors with broken pediment and parapet, three 12-pane sashes in
moulded stone architraves either side. First floor has seven 12-
pane sashes in moulded architraves, cornice to plain blocking
course with urns. Two hipped attic dormers with 2-light
casements, louvred vent to apex of roof. Slightly earlier range
to left has three moulded cross windows to ground floor, plat band
and three 12-pane sashes to first floor, one hipped attic dormer.
Left return in rubble stone has small 8-pane sash to first floor
and single recessed chamfered attic light. Right return of main
range has external stack with datestone; GT / 1710; initials of
George Turner. Rear of main range has 2-storey wing containing
stairs, door with 6 fielded panels with segmental head, beaded
Venetian stair window leaded cross window to right and 4-pane sash
to left, hipped roof; to right is C18 gabled wing and 2-storey
lean-to extension with 16-pane sash. Interior not accessible at
time of survey (July 1986), but said to have good early C18 stairs
with turned balusters, original joinery and fireplaces. George
Turner bought the property in 1704 from Lord Stourton.
(VCH, Wiltshire, Vol 8, 1965)
Listing NGR: ST8562250828
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings