History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Baynton House

A Grade II Listed Building in Coulston, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2839 / 51°17'1"N

Longitude: -2.0711 / 2°4'16"W

OS Eastings: 395134

OS Northings: 153859

OS Grid: ST951538

Mapcode National: GBR 2VP.K5T

Mapcode Global: VHB4M.1ZXP

Entry Name: Baynton House

Listing Date: 11 September 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1021482

English Heritage Legacy ID: 313772

Location: Coulston, Wiltshire, BA13

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Coulston

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Coulston St Thomas of Canterbury

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Erlestoke

Listing Text

EAST COULSTON EAST COULSTON VILLAGE
ST 95 SE
(south side)
6/134 Baynton House
11.9.68
GV II
Country house. Early C17, rebuilt 1780s by William Evelyn and
extended and refronted in 1797 by William Long. Rendered brick,
hipped Welsh slate roof, brick and stone stacks with moulded
cappings. U plan. Two-storey, 7-window east front. Six-panelled
door with transom light in Tuscan porch to right of centre, 12-pane
sash and tripartite sash to right, three sashes and one tripartite
sash to left. First floor has seven sashes, all sashes are in
moulded stone architraves, stone modillioned cornice and plain
blocking course, chamfered stone quoins and 2 bays to left all date
from 1797. Left return, garden front, has central glazed door with
pediment on fluted columns, tripartite 15-pane sash either side,
central 12-pane sash flanked by tripartite sash to first floor,
L
lead rainwater heads with initials W W and dated 1797, cornice and
quoins. Right return has attached C20 flat roofed services,
single-storey range with casements. Rear has 12-pane sashes and
tripartite sashes to ground and first floor, around three sides of
courtyard.
Interior: Entrance hall with C17 wainscot panelling with strapwork
frieze, possibly reset, 6-panelled doors with cocks head hinges,
chamfered cross beams with stepped stops; C18 stairs with two
turned balusters per tread, moulded wreathed handrail. C17 stairs
from first to attic floor has carved square balusters and very wide
moulded handrail, possibly reset. C18 part of house, including
1797 south wing has 6-panelled doors in panelled reveals, Adam-
style fireplaces with cast-iron grates, decorated plaster ceiling
friezes and window shutters. Library fireplace has wooden surround
with scrolled frieze and fluted columns. House set in park land
with lake. Renamed Baynton House in 1790s by Willam Long who moved
here from the destroyed Baynton House in Edington.
(V.C.H., Wiltshire, Vol 8, 1965)


Listing NGR: ST9513453859

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.