This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2793 / 51°16'45"N
Longitude: -2.1061 / 2°6'22"W
OS Eastings: 392692
OS Northings: 153352
OS Grid: ST926533
Mapcode National: GBR 2VN.NBQ
Mapcode Global: VH97B.F3XN
Entry Name: Remains of Abbey or Priory in Grounds of the Monastery Garden
Location: Edington, Wiltshire, BA13
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Listing Date: 11 September 1968
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313796
Source ID: 1021493
EDINGTON EDINGTON VILLAGE
ST 95 SW
5/157 Remains of Abbey or Priory
in grounds of The Monastery
Walls of former priory enclosing two large rectangular gardens.
Probably C14, altered during early C17 for Sir William Paulet and
Lady Beauchamp. Dressed limestone and rubble stone. Walls are
approximately 3-4 metres high, with pitched or saddlebacked stone
coping. Northern enclosure entered from south by C18 semi-
circular arched gateway with moulded imposts and keystone, two
pineapple urns set on top of wall coping, angled north west corner
of this enclosure has moulded stone Tudor-arched doorway, possibly
C15. South enclosure has two garden features of c1600: a pair of
shell-headed niches with strapwork-carved frieze and moulded
cornice set into west side, between garden and churchyard and a 2-
bay loggia on south wall with chanelled rustication to square piers
and semi-circular arches with imposts decorated with pellets,
strapwork-carved frieze to moulded cornice and double gables, rear
is canted out from wall with Welsh slate lean-to roof, interior has
recessed wooden panelling and wooden seat. Enclosure to north of
Church of St Mary, St Katherine and All Saints (q.v.), has north
wall retaining remains of monastic building; 40 metre length of
ashlar wall with pitched coping incorporating cylindrical piers as
buttresses with conical cappings and moulded bases. The wall is
clearly a later addition to the piers, which may have formed part
of the claustral buildings on the north side of the church, ten
bays are represented, extending west to The Priory (q.v.).
William of Edington founded a chantry here in 1351, at a church
formerly held by the Abbess of Romsey, the foundation was
transferred to the Bonshommes and the present Church (q.v.)
dedicated in 1361. The monastic enclosure lay to the north and
the walls, although subsequently altered and repaired are all
that remain. After the Dissolution the buildings and land were
granted to Sir Thomas Seymour and then bought by Sir William
Paulet, Marquis of Winchester, who probably created the garden
Scheduled Ancient Monument, Wiltshire, No 828.
(VCH, Wiltshire, Vol 8, 1965; RCHM (England), Salisbury;
Listing NGR: ST9266453504
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings