History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Sunday School Attached to the Tabernacle

A Grade II Listed Building in Trowbridge, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3227 / 51°19'21"N

Longitude: -2.2085 / 2°12'30"W

OS Eastings: 385570

OS Northings: 158197

OS Grid: ST855581

Mapcode National: GBR 1ST.0GB

Mapcode Global: VH972.N0VV

Entry Name: Former Sunday School Attached to the Tabernacle

Listing Date: 26 November 1976

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1021542

English Heritage Legacy ID: 313914

Location: Trowbridge, Wiltshire, BA14

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Trowbridge

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Trowbridge St James

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Trowbridge

Listing Text

CHURCH STREET
1.
5411
(North Side)
Former Sunday School
attached to the Tabernacle
ST 8558 5/8B
II GV
2.
Dated 1882. Architects: Paull and Bonella; builder: William Smith. Tudor collegiate.
2 storeys. Dressed and snecked rubble on projecting plinth and with crenellation
to leftover doorway. Leaded mullion and transom windows with moulded 4 centre
arch heads and straight drip over. Moulded eaves cornice with zoomorphic corbels
to crenellated part and wall chimney between 1st and 2nd windows from right; stack
stepped above eaves with 2 octagonal shafts having moulded capping. Low pitched
tiled roof. 2 rainwater heads to 1st floor dated 1882 and ground floor 1883.
3 ranges of paired windows. Quatrefoil vents in plinth and over ground floor.
Doorway to left with Tudor arch, high stopped moulded chamfer on jambs and tall
drip with moulded diamond stops; 12 panel door. Memorial stones flanking doorway
dated 1882 and a 2-light window above doorway.
Extension to west with a pair of 3-light windows to ground floor and a lancet above
with drip mould having zoomorphic stops. Corbelled chimney in corner with octagonal
shaft. Crenellated break to left, also with doorway, related to vestries etc.

Former Sunday School former 'Institute' to east, The Tabernacle United Reformed
Church and related structures form a group with Nos 24 to 26 (consec) and 2 and
3 Tabernacle Cottages.


Listing NGR: ST8557058197

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.