This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.319 / 51°19'8"N
Longitude: -2.2087 / 2°12'31"W
OS Eastings: 385551
OS Northings: 157784
OS Grid: ST855577
Mapcode National: GBR 1ST.6FG
Mapcode Global: VH972.N3PP
Entry Name: Castle Factory
Listing Date: 26 November 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1021556
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313945
Location: Trowbridge, Wiltshire, BA14
Civil Parish: Trowbridge
Built-Up Area: Trowbridge
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Trowbridge St James
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
(South West Side)
ST 8557 7/201
Principal block to street: 1828. Designed and built by Gane brothers. 5 storeys
and attics. 11 bays. Red brick, ground floor painted. Stone plinth, band over
ground floor and cill bands to 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors. Standard mill windows
in raised stone surrounds, segmental headed with central mullion. The ground,
3rd and 4th floors retain glazing bar casements, rest altered. Round headed window
3rd from left on 1st floor formerly for steam engine. Wide segmental headed entrance
to right. 2 large modern double doors to left. 6-10-6-light attic casements.
Wide segmental headed gable end windows. Quarter hipped double roman tile roof
with slightly stepped coped verges. Stunted chimney at south-east corner.
Parallel block to riven: circa 1820s-30s. 4 storeys and gable lit loft. Red
brick with stone bands over ground floor and 2nd and 3rd floor cill bands. Stone
brackets to gutter. Stone window surrounds, square with segmental upper inner
edge. Glazing bar sash windows 5 (1 on 3rd floor) + 4 (+ 2). Various ground floor
openings. Double roman tile roof with formerly 3 domestic type chimneys; coped
verges. Probably for hand worked machinery.
Linking block to river and street blocks: to south east of previous 2 blocks.
1826-36. Brick with stone dressings, some attempt to match other 2 blocks. 2
single light windows to river. 8 standard 2-light windows to south east. Lunette
window to river side marks site of boiler house. Top floor, originally only lit
from south west, once a stove rack for drying cloth.
The listed Mills in Court Street form an industrial group with Home Mill Buildings,
Castle Factory and The Chapel (Offices of Samuel Salter and Co Ltd).
Listing NGR: ST8555157783
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings