This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3199 / 51°19'11"N
Longitude: -2.2097 / 2°12'34"W
OS Eastings: 385482
OS Northings: 157886
OS Grid: ST854578
Mapcode National: GBR 1ST.06J
Mapcode Global: VH972.N350
Entry Name: Castle Mill stone Mill
Listing Date: 26 November 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1021557
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313947
Location: Trowbridge, Wiltshire, BA14
Civil Parish: Trowbridge
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Trowbridge St James
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 8557 6/203
COURT STREET (South West Side)
Stone (or Castle) Mill
Lower (water driven) mill, on site of former medieval castle mill, dates from
circa 1800; this has 8 ranges of windows. Upper wider and taller block (for steam
engine) dates from 1819 and has 4 windows. 3 storeys, attic and basement. Built
of small ashlar stone with quoins, cill bands and dressings. Double roman tile
roof with ridge cresting. 2 light square headed windows with mullions, glazing
bar casements. Large 3 light dormers, 6 to each side. The 1819 steam engine block
retains 1st floor round headed windows to right (for the engine room) on both sides.
To left of this window on south west side is an engaged ashlar chimney with bands;
brick work finish. Modern plate glass windows inserted removing mullions to left
of chimney. Modern block to left also. The north west front 3 windows wide with
steps to 1st floor.
The listed Mills in Court Street form an industrial group with Home Mill Buildings,
Castle Factory and The Chapel (Offices of Samuel Salter and Co Ltd).
Listing NGR: ST8548257886
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings