Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3201 / 51°19'12"N
Longitude: -2.2072 / 2°12'25"W
OS Eastings: 385656
OS Northings: 157905
OS Grid: ST856579
Mapcode National: GBR 1ST.0T4
Mapcode Global: VH972.P2HV
Entry Name: Market Hall
Location: Trowbridge, Wiltshire, BA14
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Listing Date: 3 February 1971
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 314081
Source ID: 1021622
ST 8557 7/100 3.2.71.
Former Market Chambers. Now only skin deep front to modern shopping mall.
1861. Attributed to C. E. Davis. 3 storeyed, stone building in Italinate style
with gabled central attic. Wide front with 5 round headed windows in attic and
5 openings each to ground and 1st floors. Large brackets to eaves and gable.
Impost mouldings, billet hoods and stiff leaf foliage to 2nd floor imposts. Sculpted
vesca above in centre containing Lamb and Flag and Wheatsheaf emblems. Stiff leaf
foliage impost to 1st floor openings; also billet hoods, and panels below windows
(all late glazed sashes). Open arcade (in antis) on ground floor with round piers,
very stiff leaf capitals and plant motifs and motto outer order inscribed from
left to right: "The Earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof"; "Let everything
that hath breath praise the Lord", "Erected A.D. 1861 by William Stancomb Lord
of the Manor"; "A false balance is abomination to the Lord"; "Owe no man anything".
The engaged capitals at each end further sculptured with, to right, a plough with
sheep and, to left, woolsack and 2 sorts of spinning wheels.
Listing NGR: ST8565657905
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings