History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Baptist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Melksham, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3775 / 51°22'39"N

Longitude: -2.1422 / 2°8'31"W

OS Eastings: 390200

OS Northings: 164286

OS Grid: ST902642

Mapcode National: GBR 1S3.K7N

Mapcode Global: VH96Q.TMCV

Entry Name: Baptist Church

Location: Melksham, Wiltshire, SN12

County: Wiltshire

Parish: Melksham

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Listing Date: 29 September 1950

Last Amended: 13 February 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 314354

Source ID: 1021744

Listing Text

ST 9063 MELKSHAM OLD BROUGHTON ROAD
(west side)

5/137 Baptist Church
(formerly listed as Baptist Church
Sunday School)
29.9.50

II

Baptist Church. 1776, restored 1879. Rubblestone, double Roman
tiled (steeply pitched) hipped roof. Square plan. 2-storey, 3-
window. Original entrance door is on right return from street. 6-
panelled double doors in staff-moulded case with pulvinated frieze
and pediment on pilasters. Either side is sash in beaded case.
First floor has three round-headed 4-pane sashes in beaded cases.
Right and left returns have two sashes in ground floor in beaded
cases and two 4-pane round-headed sashes to first floor. Attached
to left return is C19 entrance hall and sunday school. Late C18
cartouche is on left return.
Interior: Galleries on three sides, of 1795, have elaborate cast
iron balconies supported on cast iron columns with composite
capitals. Pews and pulpit are wooden and date from restoration of
1879. Ceiling has plaster cornice and central rosette with
acanthus leaves. Marble wall tablet to Ledyard family of 1790, and
one to Joshua Russell, 1840 in classical style. Removal of
Victorian pews proposed in 1984.
(N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975).


Listing NGR: ST9020064286

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.